The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 AM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cabelas L-Tech on Sale FYI

I don't know that low sales apply specifically to this rod.....pretty much every Cabelas product eventually gets into the bargain price after its been around a few years. I can understand the apprehension regarding the reel seat - they apparently stated it was all to try to make the rod as light as possible. It doesn't pose a problem for me....I've used both a Ross evolution and Allen Trout reel on it.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:24 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlai View Post
Darn sales :-). Thinking about the 8 wt for beach and steel heading. Is the saltwater version worth extra $20? Seems like its pretty corrosion resistant as it is, maybe it's faster?

Also, any reel recommendation that doesn't break the bank but will balance well?
I'd look at an Okuma SLV. I have an Aspen Reel on mine... But I only paid $30 for it... Not the normal $200... Okuma will be fine.. Even for salt... Just make sure to rinse your reel in fresh water and add grease... Otherwise.. Sealed drag is not gonna come cheap
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter1023 View Post
I don't know that low sales apply specifically to this rod.....pretty much every Cabelas product eventually gets into the bargain price after its been around a few years. I can understand the apprehension regarding the reel seat - they apparently stated it was all to try to make the rod as light as possible. It doesn't pose a problem for me....I've used both a Ross evolution and Allen Trout reel on it.
Makes sense to me. On the suitability for salt, while I don't have any specific knowledge of this rod until mine comes in a week or so... When I was looking for reviews I found some sales introductions of the salt model and all they ever mentioned was a little more backbone for casting in wind. Never any sales pitch on enhanced corrosion resistance.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 PM

wlai is on a distinguished road

Well I went to Cabelas and got the freshwater 8 wt 9 ft of it. The guys said the only difference are the guides, and since I rinse they don't think it's needed.

I am thinking about the Cabelas prestige Plus reel, which happens to be on sale, but also looks to be made by Okuma and looks very much like an SLV.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty positive in saying that Okuma does not make the Prestige Plus... It's a nice reel at the sales price though... just don't drop the reel... cracked my spool and made my reel useless... unless i want to buy a spare spool... which surprisingly is the same cost of a whole new reel
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 PM

Itchme, you may be right, it's just what the Cabela guys said.

Do you have a Prestige Plus? Is it in the same weight class as the SLV? A half the price of an SLV I may try it out.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlai View Post
Itchme, you may be right, it's just what the Cabela guys said.

Do you have a Prestige Plus? Is it in the same weight class as the SLV? A half the price of an SLV I may try it out.
SLV is a large arbor reel... Prestige Plus is a Mid-Arbor... PP will hold more backing than the SLV... SLV is about an oz. lighter than the PP... The 8/9 SLV is a tad bit lighter than the PPIII and the SLV 7/8 is lighter by over an ounce and smaller by ~1/4"... But the PPIII holds more line... the 8/9 SLV has a pick up rate of 12" so that's some quick line pick up if you need to get to the reel quickly... The mid-arbor PP would pick up line at a slower rate...

Owning an 8/9 SLV... I'd pick it over the Prestige Plus III... I like the looks better... And I've dinged up my SLV pretty good and it's still going strong... Unlike my PP which is sitting somewhere with a broken spool... Currently my 8/9 is warming the bench as its been replaced by my Allen Alpha III... But will make a great back-up reel or reel for a future 8 or 9 wts
Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM

Thanks Itch. Based on you recommendation I got the SLV 89.

As my 8wt rod +SLV89 is going to be my beach salmon/steelhead setup, I'm thinking of the Rio Outbound Short as the line. Does anyone know if the ROS WF8 line matches up with the L-Tech 8wt rod well, or should I consider a different weight?

Also, not sure about which version of the WF8 I should go for. WF8F, WF8F/I, WF8S#? Any recommendation and experience appreciated!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Yeah can't help you there... Personally I used FTD's fly line which I'm pretty sure is Aquanova line and works great with my 6wt L-Tech... and the price is tough to beat at only $18... Have recently moved my FTD line to my CGR setup... But plan on getting Aquanova sink tip for my L-Tech next...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM

No problem. Do you find the rod pretty true to its weight?

And also, FTD? CGR?