The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road
Default lifetime warranty rods / outfits?

Hi there,

I'm toying with picking up a striper rod. I was considering a complete outfit from Orvis because they're currently on sale and good quality, but their warranty is only for a year (I think - correct me if I'm wrong).

I like the idea of a lifetime warranty for this kind of expense, especially since I snapped a Cabela's rod last year!

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible while not buying junk, and an outfit seems the best way to do so.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

If I did go for an Orvis, what do people think of the Streamline series?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: lifetime warranty rods / outfits?

orvis warranty is 25 years

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-15-2013, 03:28 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I do not know if this warranty applies to the Streamline series but Orvis's other rods have a 25 year warranty.

The Clearwaters, from what others have said, are fine rods. I just do not know about the Streamline's.

From the Clearwaters up you can not go wrong with Orvis rods.

Michael
Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis started the whole warranty system. The other companies were forced to conform and hated them for it.
If Orvis dropped their warranties now the others would chase them through the night with pitchforks
mcnerney, mrfzx and runningfish like this.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Well Rip, I see your point. But with brittle graphite rods I don' think we'd see near as many happy fisherman around with broken tips being all but epidemic. It wasn't as big a risk with fiberglass rods.

A guy that never breaks one,,well,,maybe he lost money. A guy that breaks three or four (or more) saves a lot. Either way it's a peace of mind to have it. Then people can fish that new 800 dollar graphite like they stole it.

Now if a Superfine was 50 dollars,,yea,,,I could forego the warranty. Im sure it would tickle the living hell out of rod Co's to sell them a tad cheaper,,,,,,and let us deal with the heart-break of rod-break.

I gather you use a lot of used and scouted out equipment,,that is probably the best thing to do if one is not keeping up with the Jones.

Yet there are deals,,,a Redington CT/Tempt for 150 dollars..or way less,,,,with a lifetime warranty,,I don't think that's a bad deal at all.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't making a point, just stating a fact, but since you brought it up..

Grown-ups need to take personal responsibility for their own actions.
You crash your car, you pay. Either through insurance or out of pocket. There's no way around it.
Why should fly rods be any different ?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

My go to rod for Stripers in the surf is a TFO BVK 10wt. Lifetime warranty and I can't say enough good things about the rod. After fishing through the Fall run and into the Spring I would gladly pay double for it.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to check the different manufacturers/retailer as to the warranty that comes with the specific rods. I am not an Orvis Rod expert, but I believe the lesser models have limited warranties and the higher end is 25 years.

While this is the 5wt shootout, it's going to have a list of many rod companies warranty so it might be worth getting familiar with.

2013 5 weight shootout - Yellowstone Angler

LL Bean is a sure fire bet for guaranteed warranty.

Now there are a slew of others not on the list. Allen, Flying Pig, and Clutch all seem to be getting positive results, they might be worth your time to investigate as well.

What's important is that you get a rod that you enjoy casting and fits your needs. Reels, I'd have to imagine when fishing for Stripers are pretty important. While you might be better off $$ wise with an outfit, in some cases you might not. If you have patience and can look around I'd guess you can find something better bought in pieces.

Its also worth mentioning that it could be worth your time to look in the classifieds section of this forum as well as others. You can often get some pretty good deals on equipment.
mcnerney and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM

Exactly, Rip. It IS the same as paying thur Insurance. You have a co-pay and the ins fixes your car. Same with some rod warranty.

Rod warranty is insurance.

Adult decide to pay the insurance/warranty..or not,,,on a rod.

It's not about being adult, It's about protecting an investment. At least in my mind it is.

Swirl, the BVK is an outstanding rod. They really are worth more,,relative to all fly rods,,than the retail price they charge.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I view it as insurance. They aren't cheap! 25 year warranty is good.

Thanks for the advice guys.