The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite Streamer Rods?

I am finding myself fishing a lot more streamers on medium sized western rivers (i.e. Bighorn, Yellowstone, Missouri, Green, Snake, etc.). Some of the newer, big (and sometimes heavy) streamer patterns and fast sinking sink-tip lines really seem to overtax a 6wt rod.

Been fishing/testing several 7wts and a couple of 8 wts. Haven't quite found nirvana yet, some too stiff, some too soft, some just ok. Probably will find a rod or two that I will get along with eventually. Actually, it is kind of fun trying different stuff.

I have tried the following during my search ( some just casting, some fishing and casting):

Ross Essence RX 790-4
Echo Edge SW - 790-4
Echo 3 SW - 890-4
Echo Edge 84 - 8'4", #7
G. Loomis GLX - #7, 9', 2pc
G. Loomis Shorestalker - 8'6", #7
G. Loomis Native Run - 9'6", #7
G. Loomis NRX - 9', #7
Sage VXP - 790-4
Sage One - 796-4
Sage Xi3 - 790-4
Sage Xi3 - 890-4
Sage Smallmouth Bass - 7'10" (can't remember exact grain wt)

What are some of the favorite rods from others on this forum for this type of fishing? I'm interested to hear about your experiences and preferences.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Favorite Streamer Rods?

How big of streamers are we talking? Several inch long meaty articulated stuff with lead eyes? Or smaller, more reasonable stuff? I briefly had a Sage Largemouth that could throw anything I asked of it, and then some...it was just too much rod for what I wanted to do. Recently I have got into spey rods and have found them to be able to throw some pretty meaty streams a long ways. If I am swinging a streamer or want to get down deep, nothing beats a spey rod. If I am stripping streamers, a single hander is the way to go. For reasonable size stuff I use a fiberglass Steffen 8'6" 6wt. I am on the lookout for a Steffen 7 or 8wt that will really be able to throw the big nasties. This is not your grandpas fiberglass. It is med-fast and actually bends when you get a fish on, unlike some of the latest and greatest ultra fast rocket launchers. I would give a glass single hander, or a spey rod a try.

Chase
Old 05-17-2013, 11:48 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if I'm just used to the rod or not but my TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series 7wt 10' which I also use for steelhead is my go to streamer rod.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am using Hardy Zenith 8wt 9ft for the streamers from size 8 to bass popper 3/O with no problem.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If I was going to buy a 9' 7 weight for streamer fishing, I'd have to make a choice between a Scott S4s and a Hardy ProAxis. The rods do not feel too fast, but they can handle huge payloads.

My current streamer rods are a 9' 6 weight Sage Z-Axis and a 9' 8 weight Hardy ProAxis.

Dennis
Old 05-18-2013, 09:24 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I've got an Orvis Hydros 906-4 tip flex that is a beautiful streamer rod. The Hydros series was discontinued a few years ago, but I'd guess the current Orvis Helios 2 or Hardy Zenith or Loomis NRX in a 9' 6 wt would be as good or better. I have tried the TFO BVK and Winston B3x and didn't like them as well. Have not tried the Sage One or Circa, but I have heard that the One is difficult to cast and the Circa has a soft action. (I think a crisper action makes a better rod for streamer fishing.)

If you are throwing a rig that a 6 weight can't handle, you're doing something more specialized than most streamer fishing.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Between the great Loomis, Sage and ECHO3's you have tried and the Hardy Proaxis and Scott S4s that has been mentioned, I only have one ringer to throw into the high class mix...read my post in Tackle Reviews about one of our forum members #8 rod, the Flying Pig.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

My streamer rod is a 9'6" 6 weight Winston B2MX. It is a boom stick. And has no problems pulling big fish out of water or casting double rigged articulated streamers.

The only problem I have with it...

... it's not a Sage! But I'm always on the look out for another rod!

Randy
Old 05-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is a good topic coolhand,

I've been tying & fishing with streamer flies for many years and cannot narrow my preferences for rod down to one or 2. I use every rod I own for streamers. Choice revolves around the size of stream to be fishing on and mood on any given day.

When I go to a small creek near our home I sometimes take a 6'6" bamboo 3 weight, other days I use a 6'3" graphite on that same creek. When I go to medium creeks that range between 30 - 50 foot in width I'll sometimes use either a 7'9" Orvis 5 weight or a 9' Orvis PM-10 in five weight. Same creeks on a different day.......8' six weight bamboo.

With those rods a fellow can handle flies up to a size 2 or 4 long shank hook without weight on the fly itself. When I fish rivers, I'm more likely to have a 2 hand rod in 7/8 weight because they are more efficient for the big water especially when you are short on room for back casts.

While there may be one rod better suited for streamer fishing, a fellow can use whatever rod he likes or owns to do it. You may need to take some time to develop your personal style for casting and controlling the fly once it's in the water but you can adapt to nearly any rod you may buy or own for fishing the wet flies.

Perhaps it is best to find a rod that satisfies the general fishing conditions where you live & fish most often. By doing so you can adapt to whatever comes along during a day on the water. Even though I love streamer fishing & do it 90% of the time, it's nice to know that should I blunder into a stone fly hatch that resembles a snow storm, I can simply change leaders and take advantage of the surface action for awhile.

So........... My favorite streamer rod = all my rods.

Ard
fly_guy12955 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Hands down: Hardy Demon in 9ft 7wt. (at least in my humble arsenal)