The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By random user
  • 1 Post By SkipS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Redington predator for smallies and st criox high stick drifter

Considering a 7 ft predator in a six weight for smallies. Will it throw a size 2 streamer well at that weight is the question. Also was wondering if anyone had used a high stick drifter and if so what weight and length?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Redington predator for smallies and st criox high stick drifter

Not much said in here about St. Croix rods. I really like mine.

For the smallies, unless you have tight spaces, go with a 9 footer. Don't know anything about preditor. I do know that My TFO #7 will throw 1/24 oz clouser eyes on a #4 mustad 3366 without too much uncomfortableness. It's not gently, but it is also a long way from "chuck-n-duck". The 1/24 dumbbells just need a slow, more deliberate stroke.

When I first started playing with smallies, one of the first things I did was some mass experiments. Picked the 3366 #4. Got a big selection of dumbbells and tied up a bunch of olive over white clousers from1/50 oz to 1/16 oz and went out and cast them. Watched how the flies acted in the water and decided 1/24 was as heavy as I wanted to go and that 1/32 was not bad to cast and did the nose-dive well enough to keep the signature action of the clouser (tied sparsely). Then I did similar tests with teh number of wraps of both fine lead wire, medium lead wire and heavy copper wire.

Also went through and figured out what sizes dummbells 'matched up' to various hook sizes.....

Long story short, the three ring binder on my bench has a section titled "Weights & Measures" which is just an accumulation of charts matching things up. Took some time and is a bit too scientific for some, but I figured it out once and won't ever have to guess how much weight to put on a fly to get exactly what I want. It's fun just a couple of turns of fine lead wire turns a weighted pheasant tail nymph bouncing off the bottom into a brick that most fish ignore.

Thing is you have to govern weight against current and desired depth, so you kind of have to do your own experimenting.
mcnerney and dakotakid like this.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:47 PM

I actually do have tight spaces which is why the predator looks so appealing, it's short but has great flexibility with a nice backbone. I really need to get out to a fly shop and try one with a heavy streamer to see how it will do.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I cant help you with the SC but I do have a Predator,which is 7'10",not 7'.Its a pretty specialized rod but works very well for what its designed for.A sz 2 streamer would be no problem for that rod.I can toss a sz 1/0 Clouser thats lightly weighted.A 1 or 1/0 popper is no problem either.Even though its marked as a 6wt,its really a 7wt rod.It doesnt throw a 6wt line worth beans unless its a half weight heavier line like a Sci Anglers GPX.That rod will toss a 7wt line as far as you want though.Its a fun rod to fish.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Skip, thanks for the info! I fish in eastern and central Ky. The streams are always boardered by alot if trees and bushes, which makes a shorter rod like the predator a good choice for the smallies that like to take cover in the holes and runs there.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Is the Redington Predator in the same category as the Sage Bass II 7'9"?