The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By attila
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By rockthief
  • 1 Post By trickpony
  • 1 Post By thenewlushlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 AM

trickpony is on a distinguished road
Default Any recommendations?

Hello all -
So, I'm looking at getting a new rod. A friend of mine gets TFO pro deals so I was going to order one through him, and I figured I might as well go with the BVK series. The only hangup here is that I've only every used his little baby 4 weight for fishing some really creeky little area streams, etc.

So, here's the question:

This will be my only rod as my old one is toast. The overwhelming majority of the fishing I do is on smaller mountain rivers but I occasionally get on the Yellowstone, the Madison, etc. (in Montana).

I'm debating between a 5wt and a 6wt - any thoughts there? I'm leaning toward a 5wt, but don't want to get frustrated on bigger rivs.

Thanks again,
-Alex
Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recommendations?

I'm not familiar with where the creeky little area streams you're fishing are, but when I think of small streams, I'm usually fishing a 4wt unless the conditions that day are very windy or unless I'm throwing streamers.

I've never fished out West but I think most guys like anything from 5-7wts.

This is one of those situations where one rod CAN do it but you might find yourself wanting to add another at some point. Given what information I know, the 6wt should better cover you on the larger waters, but might be too much of a rod for the smaller streams. Still I'd probably opt for that so that you're not under gunned on bigger waters. Hard to say without knowing generally where you're fishing the smaller waters or the types of flies you typically use on those streams.
mcnerney and trickpony like this.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Jay said. My main rod is a 5 wt it will handle the fishing for the bigger streams just fine, nymphing, dries or small streamers. If I'm planning on concentrated all day streamer fishing I go up to a 6-7 wt, that gives me the flexibility to throw larger stuff if I want to and really helps dealing with the wind when it comes up in the afternoon. For small streams I like to drop down to a 4 wt. YMMV!
trickpony likes this.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:50 AM

attila will become famous soon enough

IF you are stuck on a TFO I'd say get an 8'6" Pro II in a 5wt.
trickpony likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickpony View Post
This will be my only rod as my old one is toast.
I like toast
trickpony likes this.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

What is the problem with your old rod?
trickpony likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM

trickpony is on a distinguished road

Woah! Thanks for all the recommendations - I didn't realize the forum didn't e-mail to tell me there were new posts... sorry I never got back.

Ended up going with a 5wt just because the majority of my fishing is smaller streams, etc. My old rod had a myriad of problems - the last of which being that it was snapped in not 2... but 3 parts in a tragic car door situation. In all fairness to the rod, it was probably time to go.

Thanks for all the recommendations - happy fishing!!
-Alex
attila likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Good choice. Enjoy your new rod. So what did you get ?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I would agree that if your stuck on TFO get the professional instead of the BVK. The bvk is wicked stiff and will suit you if you like lightning fast rod blanks, the professional has a softer more forgiving action. Also, I would recomend the 5 weight over the 6. Based on the information you gave on streams vs. large rivers with 20+ inch trout, I think the 6 may be slightly overgunned. Also, IMHO I think you could get a rod that performs better than tfo blanks, in my experience tfo blanks are heavy and have a lot of vibration through the casting stroke w/ poor tracking. At the $200 price point you could pick up an orvis clearwater 9' or 8'6" 5 weight, this rod is incredibly light and high performing @ that low price point. Low vibration, and good tracking, another good choice would be the winston passport 9" 5 weight @ $225 an excellent choice. At the end of the day your going to decide which rod is best for you no-one can tell you which rod is best for you, however these are some suggestions from my viewpoint. Let me know if you want further advice, good luck!
trickpony likes this.