Rod for Colorado

mdlb21

Reaction score
So I am having a dilemma and it would be great to get some feedback. I currently have a 6wt rod that I have fished with for a couple of years. This was my first rod and I picked a 6wt (Orvis Clearwater with BBS reel) so I would not be as frustrated with the wind on some of the Colorado streams and rivers. With that said I have started to get the bug for a new rod, nothing wrong with old one, just want a new toy.

So my question is, do I buy a nice 4wt setup and keep the entry level 6wt or do I sell the 6wt and get a very nice do it all 5wt setup? I am assuming that having a 4wt and 6wt would be considerably more versitile, but I have also read that the new highend (BIIIX, Sage One, Helios 2) 5 weights can work well through the entire range. Any thoughts on what you would do in the same situation?

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
You could probably go a couple different directions and be happy, it's like buying a Ford or Chevy. I have a 3 wt, 4 wt, 5 wt, 6 wt, 7 wt and a couple 8 wts. The 5 wt is a Sage One, I use that mostly for nymphing, for dries I have a Scott G2 4 wt, but when the wind comes up I will revert back to the 5 wt. For streamers I mostly use the Sage Z-Axis 7 wt although I have an Orvis Helios 6 wt that has never been fished. For small mtn streams I like the Orvis Superfine in 3 wt. YMMV!

nickj

Reaction score
Oh boy... it depends on where you're fishing. Small streams need small rods. I second the 3 weight Superfine recommendation. Larger streams need longer rods. I have 5 weights in 7', 7'9", 8'6", and 9'. I have an 8' 6 weight that I haven't fished in years. Give us an idea of your intended usage ?

dpreller

Reaction score
nobody can answer this but you. now for me the clearwater isnt a bad rod. no its not a high end rod but its certainly not junk. Iwould but a 4wt and keep my six. ofcourse i love 4 wts in general( i own 4 of them) you also have to think what type of fishing do you do most,small ste\reams , big rivers, dries streamers. i would put the most money into the rod that is gonna perform bestat the kind of fishing i enjoy most and do the most of. Which is probaly why I own so mant 4s i like to fish dries and small nymph rigs on relativley small to medium creeks and fish poppers for big panfish and small bass in farm ponds. my various 4 wts do a great job of that for me.

mdlb21

Reaction score
Sorry I should have included additional detail. Now I fish most of the rivers in Colorado depending on where we are for the weekend (S Platte, Yampa, Blue, Pan, Clear Creek, and alpine lakes). I live in Golden so my home water is Clear Creek, small (~30 across) water that I am throwing small nymphs the majority of the time.

I would say 90% of my fishing is done within a 40ft range with most of that within 20ft. I really enjoy fishing smaller waters (Big Thompson in RMNP, tailwaters of the Taylor, Deckers) and most of the time the flies are small nymphs or dries. I will fish out of a boat 2-3 times a year the 6wt I have right now is great for that (I am sure a new 5wt would work as well).

I may have just answered my own question given I like the smaller waters, maybe a 4wt would be nice to have in the quiver.

glcaddis

Reaction score
I vote for 7'7" 4 wt by a Colorado builder. It is a great rod for the streams in your state I've been fortunate enough to fish. The 6 wt should be kept for the bigger water you also have available.

williamhj

Reaction score
I agree on the 4wt but if you're looking for a general trout rod, leaving the 6wt for streamers, bass ,etc, then I'd go longer than 8'. I have a 7'6" 4wt and 6'6" 2wt and fish them both but would find them limiting if I didn't have a 9' rod. My 9'er is a 5wt but could just as well be 4wt.

The main reason for going over 8' is the extra reach to hold line over current lanes moving faster or slower than the one I'm trying to dead drift through. For this reason actually looking to build a 10' 4wt specifically for nymphing. Still love my short rods but more and more I'm seeing the value of having a longer one around here.

trout champ

Reaction score
Keep the 6wt and get a 8'6" 4wt or 9' 5wt. and keep a 7'6" 3wt in your head. Living in Colorado I have accumulated a small collection of rods and back up rods and rods for friends and rods I keep in my tuck incase I get out of work early or for sudden, last minute trips.

Go to your local shop, I suggest Rocky Mountain Anglers in Boulder, and string up and cast the rods your looking at. My personal preference: 9' 4wt Sage ONE!

Randy

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Do NOT switch out the 6 for a 5. They are too similar and you will not get any meaningful advantage in ways to fish. Instead get a really nice 4.

I think the hard decision is not between a 5 and a 4, but rather, what length and action in a 4 you should get for the kind of fishing you are likely to be doing -- a shorter, more delicate rod for finesse presentation (like for example, the 8' Winston TMF), or a longer, stouter rod for the most versatility under diverse conditions (like the 9' Loomis NRX), or something in between (like the 8' 6" Zenith or Helios 2). A friend of mine who guides professionally on the Madison in Montana says his favorite rod for all-around Western fishing is a 9' 4 wt. I have both a TMF and a 9x4 Loomis IMX (the ancestor of the NRX), and I have been lusting for an 8' 6" 4wt Hardy Zenith ever since it won the Yellowstone Angler 4 weight shootout last year. (Check out Yellowstone's reviews, but also be aware of their biases.) I have also test cast the new Helios 2 and it is one sweet stick.

If I were in your shoes, I would keep my 6 weight for big water and weighted rigs, and add an 8 6" 4 weight with medium-fast action, like the Zenith or Helios 2, for everything else. But what feels best in my hand for the way I fish might not be the same for you, so if you can, your should try out a few different rods before laying down your money. If you really spend most of your time on very small water you might prefer an 8' rod or shorter.

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
You are getting a #4 no doubt. But I agree with Trout Champ...not too short. Short is good on densely canopied creeks but an 8 1/2'/#4 is a classic and delightful size. Your next rod after that will be a quality 9'/#5 but definitely keep your #6 for the drift boat and general banging about. 6-weights are an under rated line size and, especially as rods get lighter, 6's are becoming more relevant.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

I wrote this with out seeing Moucheur's post...I agree with him too! I have several #4's including the NRX 9'/#4 and the Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 and these two rods could not be more different. NRX will out perform most #5's in 5-weight applications with a true 4-weight line like RIO Gold. The Zenith (rigged with SA Troutstalker) is a supreme delicate delivery rod without being all soft flexy like Circa or the Winstons. I too am curious about the H2 in this size...I thought the 8 1/2'/#4 original Helios was the only Orvis of its generation I cast that truly interested me and the new one is supposed to be improved.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Of course, since you live and fish in Colorado, Scott Rods and Ross Reels have to be on your short list too. Last time I fished the upper Yampa I used a 9'/#4.5 Scott S3 and it was just right.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
If you are a trout fisherman, forget the fast action rods. They are bass sticks. A 4wt, mid flex would be a far better choice..or even a Superfine 4wt full flex.

bobbrown

Reaction score
Lived and guided in Colorado for 25 years....for most fisherman and guides i knew...but certainly ot all.....the standard was 9 foot/ 5 weight. Might bring a
6 weight if throwing heavy buggers or a 4 weight for small streams or flies.
But, a five does all Colorado work just fine. That what I used and never had need or any other outfit.

dpreller

Reaction score
yeah since you live in colorado get a scott.lol. i happen to own an 8f4in 4 wt g2 and a 9 foot 4wt g2. two of my favorite trout rods. and both made right there in montrose.

kevin2

Reaction score
I'd get a 7 or even 8wt helios. My 8wt Helios weighs in at the same weight as the 4wt clearwater, so I feel like I'm casting a feather COMPARED to my other 6, 7, 8, and 9wt rods. It is the best rod I own. I rarely even bring my 5wt rod fly fishing anymore. I have just as much fun with smaller fish on it & when you have a opportunity to tie on a large fly, that rod can turn it over & bring in any sized fish.

It casts like a canon too. You really don't know what you are missing until you cast one of these rods in the upper wts. I challenge anyone to put up any other rod next to the helios in a pure ease of casting challange for clean length of cast. Between the rods I've owned, rods I've rigged up and casted at outfitters & fly shops, and the rods I've used from guides I've gone with fishing, they all come up miles short in this department. To me, fly fishing is just so much more fun when you can cast it twice as far with half the effort.

I broke my Helios last year, and they gave me a new section, no questions asked. Best customer service ever. I've been using Orvis for over 20 years & they are always a pleasure.