The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By runningfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Redington Predator 6wt 7'10"

Well, after getting rid some spinning rods including the Zenith 7wt and not buying a new pair of sunglasses for at least another 2 or 3 seasons. I ended up getting the Redington Predator 6wt 7'10". I read a lot about over lining the Predator with a full weight up.
Can anyone recommend me a floating line for this rod? Can this rod take a 8wt Rio OBS? or should I just go with the Rio small mouth bass taper 6wt or 7wt? or even the Rio Bonefish line 6wt or 7wt?

thanks guys.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Redington Predator 6wt 7'10"

The 2 floating lines I use are a Wulff SWF saltwater line and a Wulff bass taper,both in 7wt.The rod will cast a 6wt SA GPX but not very good.I cant speak for any of the lines you mentioned but I would stay away from the 8wt OBS.That line is already overloaded by 2 weights if im not mistaken so an 8wt OBS is like a 10wt line.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am only familiar with Wulff Ambush since they were similar to Rio OBS. The Rio OBS is 330grain for the 8wt with 36FT head, it will blast the flies into the horizon.

I am leaning towards the 7wt Rio Bass or the Bonefish taper.
Let's hope someone else would recommend me something else.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 6wt, older, first-generation, Predator - brown, pre-Sage acquisition, love it - and throw a 7wt Scientific Angler Mastery Series Bass Bug line with it. The combination works fine for me. I suspect it would work as well with the new Predators which, I believe, are a pinch faster.

Mike

Last edited by Sep; 05-24-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
I have the older 6wt Predator - brown, pre-Sage acquisition, love it - and throw a 7wt Scientific Angler Mastery Series Bass Bug line with it. The combination works fine for me. I suspect it would work as well with the new Predators which, I believe, are a pinch faster.

Mike
Two votes for 7wt line for the 6wt predator with SA line.

Break break.
I enjoyed your May 21st pictures, especially the last one with the cigar . I haven't read it but I bookmarked your blog for future reading.
Sep likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:41 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I enjoyed your May 21st pictures, especially the last one with the cigar . I haven't read it but I bookmarked your blog for future reading.
Thanks. It's great fun and keeps me out of trouble. Mostly...
Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Thanks for sharing. I will be doing that kind of excursions in the near future as of now I am just starting up with a family life and in the drawing board for a business.