The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By petee
  • 2 Post By raindogt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 09:35 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Questions about bamboo.

I have had, for the past year or two, a bamboo rod stashed away in a closet. 'Twas handed down from a relative and it was his uncles before that. I would estimate the age to be 60+ years old. when it was given to me, the included 'instructions' were "fish it... sell it... Hell, I don't care-- I just want it out of my way and you are the only person I know who could do anything with it." (yes, he is a curmudgeonly old coop. LOL)

I am not selling it, and I don't care about any 'value'- short of a value with 3 commas between the sets of zeroes, It doesn't have a monetary value that I am lacking.

I haven't fished it much because the eyelets (while in good shape) are just absolutely tiny. also, it appears to have been stood up in a corner for a loooonnnnggggg time and there is a distinct bow to the rod.

So, question time--

1. Would it be sacrilege to put modern eyelets on the thing? the tip top eye and the foot guide eye are the real offenders- it is almost like a ceramic disc with a pin hole drilled out of it. the rest are the snake type guides that I am used to.

2. What's the best way to straighten it out?

3. Is the penny method the only way to determine the wight of this thing? I can say that it casts just about all line weights that I have nicely. this being said, should I just put a 5 on her and go?

Thanks for any and all input advice.

Tony
Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about bamboo.

Any markings on it? Name, decals, etc? If so someone who knows about such things (or is good at google searches) can find a lot of info on the rod.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to try it before you change the guides. I have plenty of vintage rods with the small guides and I don't think that it's really an issue.

The best way to straighten a "set" in a cane rod is with heat. A hair dryer or something like that.

The vast majority of vintage cane rods were 6, 7, and 8wts
Shorter rods will use lighter lines. 9' rods could be trout or bass weight
I'd try a 6wt first and hope to get lucky

With more information and some pictures we could tell you a lot more
Hardyreels, wt bash and yonder like this.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

The CCS (penny method) seems to work for any material. I use it to validate every bamboo rod I build.

Small guides? Look at Tom Morgan's recommended guide sizes on rods...... very, very small. Being that old I am will to bet that there probably not as many guides as recommended now days. One guide + one per rod length.

If you want to use it as an every day fisher, re-build it as an every day fisher.

60 years old? Might be a rod that came out of Japan after the war. They usually aren't the best cane and don't bring much value to the table. If it's one of those rods you can definately re-built it with no worries.

Ditto Rip Tide's hair dryer advice.

Pete
yonder likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"Ditto Rip Tide's hair dryer advice."

Just add one thing to that and that is hook two/three sections together and hang from the tip-top off a nail (or sum such). Do the dryer bit, the weight below will help straighten the thing out.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

petee: 'If you want to use it as an every day fisher, re-build it as an every day fisher.' I like this advice. I think I will run with it. Also, you are right, there aren't many guides on the thing. It is 7 1/2 foot, three sections, and the tip section has 4 guides, the other two, one guide each. the site isn't cooperating with letting me upload pics right now.

Rip, you are spot on (as always) about the line weight. In my extensive, highly controlled, scientific yard cast tests, 6 wt. seems to be the best. You have answered many of my questions -- and for that, I feel you should be acknowledged for your insight and for your generosity with that knowledge.

Fred, good call on the nail trick and letting the weight of the rod plum it all out. much simpler way than what I had pictured in my mind.

The only markings on it are "live simply" and my great great uncles name burnt into it above the cork (he could have built it for himself- IDK). I'm told He died young, on a motorcycle, 40 or so years ago. The rod has been drifting from family's house to family's house for a dozen + years and I have had it for a few years-- so I guestimate the age to be about 60-- could be much more, could be much less. Doesn't really matter. I have fished it when I first got it-- but put it away for the last few years because I thought of it as 'not ready to be fished'. Not sure why I viewed it that way-I just did. But I realized that by being in my closet-- it is doing the exact same thing as it has been doing for the last 20 years- nothing but being in the way- just a different closet. Well, I am going to change that and re-write this old rod's fate.

So, thanks all. I might as well start the project tonight-- gotta have something to do while I am having a few beers. Eventually catch some more fish with it.

Tony
fredaevans and williamhj like this.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:55 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just my .02 cents, but on small streams, that would include the Rogue above 'Lost Lake' the forks 'demand' a short Boo. Log/bolder hopping, small shallow runs for trout in the late summer.

Oregon F & G stock these forks with trout regularly; unfortunately not where I tend to fish. A good thing, that little Guy is the real deal?