The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default TFO NXT help

My wife bought me a TFO NXT 5/6 last Christmas. While it will roll cast fairly, any cast if any variety over about 15 to 20 feet causes the line to not turn over. This is the line that came with the rod and I am wondering if it is too light to properly load the rod. I've tried altering my casting stroke 100 ways and the rod is still hitting the line mid air after about 20 feet on line being out. It's rather frustrating. By the way this is casting with just a leader on the line for practice, no fly. The behavior does not change with a fly with matching leader. Any ideas?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TFO NXT help

You could put a tuft of yarn on the end of the leader, but I don't think that will make a difference.

Just a thought. The line could be on backwards.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Try it with another line that matches the rod weight rating. If that doesn't work the rating is probably incorrect.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Interesting. I have several of yjese ouyfits for my high school fly club. We have not run into that issue at all.....at least once I get the kiddos stroke corrected. I believe the line they load the reels with is made by Rio.....definitely try another line. Good Luck!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Do a CCS on it. Might be a different blank labeled incorrectly. Wouldn't be the first time that has ever happened.

What line did it supposedly come with? If its a weight forward and its on backwards....... as MoscaPescador suggested

Just a couple of thoughts.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16