The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default G.Loomis to Sage?

I've been thinking very seriously of making the switch. I liked Sage rods of the past, but then they became to stiff and fast for me (I like fast, but I like feel).

It took me a LOOOONG time to finally have a look at G.Loomis. I knew they made great "gear" rods, but to me, they were not a fly rod manufacturer. They were a "gear" rod manufacturer that happened to make fly rods.

Well, after fishing them, they were just what I was looking for. Now, all I own are Loomis. My collection has rods in the following series: WhisperCreek GLX, StreamDance GLX, NRX and RoaringRiver. I like them.

However, I am thinking of making the switch to Sage due to the varied series of rods and the new Muskie rod really has be giddy. I really love the looks of the TXL-F, as well as the ESN and the 99's. The finishes on the Sage are beautiful and we know they are good rods. About the only rod I do not care for is the ONE. It is waaay to fast and stiff for me.

What rods do you folks prefer between these two manufacturers? And before it comes up, yes I like all of my rods to be from the same manufacturer. Goes back to my Bass tournament days.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: G.Loomis to Sage?

I have a T and T that would shame a Sage One in the 5wt fast action class. Anyone wanna buy it ? Practically a new rod too. I am not a 'technical rod' type of fisherman, liking a rod with more flex also.

Why go to Sage rods ? Winston would be the brand I'd go to if I could afford them. At least they do not have that 'made for Cabela's look. I'd consider Winston's THE 'trout rod' makers.
Hardyreels and djamtime like this.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I have a T and T that would shame a Sage One in the 5wt fast action class. Anyone wanna buy it ? Practically a new rod too. I am not a 'technical rod' type of fisherman, liking a rod with more flex also.

Why go to Sage rods ? Winston would be the brand I'd go to if I could afford them. At least they do not have that 'made for Cabela's look. I'd consider Winston's THE 'trout rod' makers.

I have to agree that Winston makes a hell of a rod and they are fabulous Trout rods. However, 80% of my fishing is with big flies, for big warm water fish such as Bass, Pike and Muskie. I still believe that Winston lacks in terms of a rod for this type of fishing. The II-MX was a two by four, but I have not thrown the III-SX yet.

Scott is another rod that I have heard good things about. They seem to be a nice looking rod that performs, however, I just have not had enough experience with them. Also, as dumb as it sounds, I do not like how each rod series from them looks the exact same, in terms of finish.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Oh, ok. I thought you were looking at trout rods. My mistake.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

Own several rod from both of these fine manufacturers. They both have some "winners" and "stinkers" in their respective line-ups. So, I have a hard time going "all-in" with any one company.

Overall, the build quality (fit and finish) on the Sage rods is superior to the G. Loomis products. Although the G. Loomis stuff isn't bad by any means.

Sage seems to base it's individual rod series on a specialty target market. For example, the One is an unapologetically lightweight, fast action, rod, best for punching out longer casts in tough conditions (The TCX even more so). The Circa is a beautiful medium action rod for delicate presentations with small flies. TXL is really redundant with the Circa. The 99 is an underappreciated model that is unmatched for indicator nymph techniques. Bass and Pike/Muskie rods specialized for those respective species. The VXP and price point Response and Approach models are unremarkable in performance and value (IMO only). When Sage discontinued the excellent Z-Axis and ZXL series, it was a shift away from general purpose, all-around models to a more specialized focus.

G. Loomis rod series seem to have a bit broader "range" and are more versatile than the Sage stuff. In other words the rods aren't really too fast or to slow. They all seem to feature relatively soft tips with strong butt sections. They are more alike than different. But, the great thing about them, is that you never feel like you have the wrong rod if conditions or fishing tactics change. I really prefer the GLX models (Classic, Whispercreek, Streamdance, Native Run) over the newer NRX rods. The GLX rods have better feel and seem lighter in weight and swing weight than the NRX (however, NRX has the reputation of being more durable and resilient). I do own some NRX rods and fish them quite a bit, but they don't seem to have the same soul or feel as the GLX models. I hope that they rework the NRX stuff a bit to lighten things up. Price point Loomis series (Eastfork, and Pro 4X) , are also unremarkable in performance and value.

R.L. Winston is mentioned here a couple of times. Their build quality is really unmatched compared to the other major manufacturers. They have their legion of devotees, but IMO, the performance offered is pretty vanilla. I will concede that the Boron IIIx rods are an excellent med-fast action, dry fly specialty series, but other than that, the Winston rods are unremarkable performers.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Great reply and information Coolhand. On par with my thoughts between the two companies.

You are absolutely correct in terms of the finish quality between the two companies as well. From a pure asthetics stand point, Sage wins. They just look rich and classy. However, the G.Loomis finish is not all spit and buggers as I have heard some say. While not as nice, they are not bad. I'm picky as hell when I pick up a new rod and I look closely at the thread wraps, guides, reel seats, etc. and I have not seen anything that would prevent me from purchasing a Loomis based on finish.

Again, it took me a long time to warm up to Loomis, but one of the things I love about the rods, they have feel. I can tell what the line is doing, how the rod is loading and I can alter the speed and power of my stroke and still throw a beautiful line, be it fast and powerful or slow and deliberate.

What suprised me with the NRX, the pure power and butt strength. I had a 9wt. and was catching 20lb. plus Pike. As those big fish ran for thick weeds and I thought the rod was taxed, I leaned on it even harder (feeling the rod flex into the cork) and just flat turned those fish. For a softer NRX, the new LP's are fabulous! Could the be prettier, sure, but they flat fish.

As for the StreamDance GLX and RoaringRiver GLX rods, they may look plain indoors, but get them outside and in the sun and they are very nice looking rods! The reel seats and spacers on both series are gorgeous!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:20 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I've got three Sage rods and two G. Loomis: a 6-wt. Sage Flight, an 8-wt. Flight (picked up on sale when Sage discontinued them), and an 8-wt. Sage VXP. I like the way all three cast. I've grown quite fond of my VXP: with it I've caught salmon, steelhead, and back in March my first bonefish. I've never cast some of the "higher end" Sage models but I do like the VXP. Like the Flights too, but I haven't fished with them as much (yet).

I just bought a 9-wt. G. Loomis CrossCurrent GLX and a 13' 8/9-wt. NRX double-hander. Both were on sale at Cabela's for great prices (I got the NRX for $600!). I got a chance to try another guy's 9-wt. CrossCurrent when I was in Belize in March and really liked the way it cast, so when I got back home and saw them on sale at Cabela's for $200 off I just had to get one. I'm going back to Belize next spring and will have a chance to really give it a try then.

I like both companies' rods and wouldn't want to commit to just one or the other. I got a chance to cast all of the rods I just mentioned before I bought them (except the NRX), and liked them more for that than whether they were made by a particular company. I did buy the NRX based on reviews and recommendations, and had wiggled and fondled them in fly shops. The fact most of them were on sale didn't hurt. If you like the way a rod casts, like fishing with it, and catch fish with it, why not go with it?

My two cents.

Scott
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
I've got three Sage rods and two G. Loomis: a 6-wt. Sage Flight, an 8-wt. Flight (picked up on sale when Sage discontinued them), and an 8-wt. Sage VXP. I like the way all three cast. I've grown quite fond of my VXP: with it I've caught salmon, steelhead, and back in March my first bonefish. I've never cast some of the "higher end" Sage models but I do like the VXP. Like the Flights too, but I haven't fished with them as much (yet).

I just bought a 9-wt. G. Loomis CrossCurrent GLX and a 13' 8/9-wt. NRX double-hander. Both were on sale at Cabela's for great prices (I got the NRX for $600!). I got a chance to try another guy's 9-wt. CrossCurrent when I was in Belize in March and really liked the way it cast, so when I got back home and saw them on sale at Cabela's for $200 off I just had to get one. I'm going back to Belize next spring and will have a chance to really give it a try then.

I like both companies' rods and wouldn't want to commit to just one or the other. I got a chance to cast all of the rods I just mentioned before I bought them (except the NRX), and liked them more for that than whether they were made by a particular company. I did buy the NRX based on reviews and recommendations, and had wiggled and fondled them in fly shops. The fact most of them were on sale didn't hurt. If you like the way a rod casts, like fishing with it, and catch fish with it, why not go with it?

My two cents.

Scott

If you got the 13 foot, 7-8 weight, you better take that thing to the Tree and lay it to some of those Char!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
R.L. Winston is mentioned here a couple of times. Their build quality is really unmatched compared to the other major manufacturers. They have their legion of devotees, but IMO, the performance offered is pretty vanilla. I will concede that the Boron IIIx rods are an excellent med-fast action, dry fly specialty series, but other than that, the Winston rods are unremarkable performers.
That might be the nicest thing I've seen you write about Winston. At least we can agree on something.

As far as the other part goes, especially the last part, I'm not going to touch that with my eight foot BIIt lol.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Click the image to open in full size.

fly guy,

You should watch the auction site for an old (1978 - 1984) Orvis Far & Fine 5 weight. They were 7'9" long with a superfine grip and cork reel seat insert, light as a feather, feel sorta like glass, but will cast like most 9' 5 weights if you need it.

I've been using one since 1979 religiously and from what you said this may be the rod you really want. If you start searching for one you'll soon discover that one in mint or unused shape will sell for more than they cost back in 1979, which was 345.00 I think. There must be a reason people will pay that much for a 30 year old graphite rod.

Tight loops, wide loops, small creeks, dry flies or streamers. Single hand Spey cast, big river double haul cast for distance, they do it all. I've posted about this rod at least 100 times over the years and that's no accident either.

Anyway, I said it again, the reason I specify the year of the rods manufacture is that there were different generations of graphite blanks. Any rods between 77 (or earlier) and 85, are first generation rods. They seem to be the best, You find the make date by the numbers stamped on the butt caps of the rods. For instance; 07-77 would indicate July 1977 as the manufacture date.

Ard
Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;