The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 05:15 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: New #5 rod - recomendations?

Is Scierra a brand available to you? I won a Scierra rod years ago in a fly club raffle and was very pleased with it. I have no knowledge of current models, but maybe they are worth checking.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM

zelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Is Scierra a brand available to you? I won a Scierra rod years ago in a fly club raffle and was very pleased with it. I have no knowledge of current models, but maybe they are worth checking.
Yea theres a ton of them and they are always on sale as they are not so popular here. It's a brand that most people here just ignore, don't know if they are that bad or if there just are better options
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I'm partial to Sage but I have had great experience with several Loop products from rods to reels. My friend fishes a custom built Loop Yellow series 8' -, 3wt. that casts like a dream. I have fished a few Loop reels over the years and even today, my Sage 7wt is fitted with a Loop 3W for large trout.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelly View Post
Nice one, thanks!

I've been looking around for some good offers here in Norway and I found this.

- Orvis clearwater II 865-4 TIP FLEX on 20%. Looks like it is a beginners rod, would it be okay for me anyway if im over that stage?
- Hardy demon 9 foot #5 (looks like it is on -40% ive mailed the store and asked)
- Scott a2 and a3 in 9" #5. Looks like a3 is the most expensive of them, but they cost the same as the a3 is on sale atleast.

I also found loop opti stream #5 in one store, but it is twice as much as the scotts and the hardy (if it is on sale). What do you guys think of these rods i've listed?
The Clearwater is a nice rod at an inexpensive price point, and isn't the kind of "beginner's rod" that you would outgrow as your skills mature. However, it is no match for the top rods on the Yellowstone list. Also, the "tip flex" is somewhat specialized and stiffer than most people prefer for all-around use.

I don't have any experience with the Demon or the Scott models, but Scott has many fans. Hardy rods were not promoted and distributed very widely in the US before the introduction of the Zenith/ProAxis/Sintrix series, which have received most of the recent attention, so you might find more opinions about the Demon in a European discussion forum.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
In North America, Sage, Scott, Winston, Hardy, Orvis, and G Loomis are the most mentioned brands for premium rods.
I'll add St. Croix to the list, plus their rods tend to be a bit cheaper than the other companies' comparables.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
The Clearwater is a nice rod at an inexpensive price point, and isn't the kind of "beginner's rod" that you would outgrow as your skills mature. However, it is no match for the top rods on the Yellowstone list. Also, the "tip flex" is somewhat specialized and stiffer than most people prefer for all-around use.

I don't have any experience with the Demon or the Scott models, but Scott has many fans. Hardy rods were not promoted and distributed very widely in the US before the introduction of the Zenith/ProAxis/Sintrix series, which have received most of the recent attention, so you might find more opinions about the Demon in a European discussion forum.
I maybe can get the hardy zenith #4 used for a good price. Looks insane in the tests etc, but could I use it?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I maybe can get the hardy zenith #4 used for a good price. Looks insane in the tests etc, but could I use it?
I don't see why not. A good 5 weight would give you just a little more distance and just a little more control in windy conditions, but the 4 would give you more finesse closer in.

Which Zenith 4 do you mean? The Zenith 8' 6" 4 weight won the top score in the Yellowstone 4 weight shootout. They liked it better than the Zenith 9' 4 weight.

2012 Four Weight Shootout - Yellowstone Angler
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

This may not help you but I'm in love with my "new" Sage XP 5 wt. Found the blank on ebay and built it up ... I've been fishing a "medium" action Sage 4 wt for a lot of years and still will, but I'm seriously digging this fast rod.

Search the ebay and such, and consider a something lighter than a 5 wt, since you said you're looking for a small stream rod. A good 4 wt is still in my opinion the best overall rod, especially if you are fishing smaller water. Sage ZXL in even a 3 wt? Super sweet rod!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I don't see why not. A good 5 weight would give you just a little more distance and just a little more control in windy conditions, but the 4 would give you more finesse closer in.

Which Zenith 4 do you mean? The Zenith 8' 6" 4 weight won the top score in the Yellowstone 4 weight shootout. They liked it better than the Zenith 9' 4 weight.

2012 Four Weight Shootout - Yellowstone Angler
hm, looks like it only is the 8 feet. Guessing that is a bad thing?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
hm, looks like it only is the 8 feet. Guessing that is a bad thing?
Not necessarily bad, but it would be more of a small-stream and spring-creek/chalkstream rod. If your ideal rod ia a 9' #5, it's getting a little farther away from what you first had in mind.