The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: New #5 rod - recomendations?

I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but in case you haven't, here's my two cents.

First, test cast as many rods as you can, even rods that are well out of your price range. What you need to look for (or 'feel' for), is the rod that best suits your cast. the rod that throws the line far as you need, throws it where you need it, and feels good when you do it.

Here's my point about casting rods that are 'out of range.' You might discover an 'action' that you really like in one of those rods. And there's a good chance that someone (maybe the same maker) makes a rod that has similar action characteristics but for a lot less money. But your first goal should be figuring out what your casting style "likes."

Now, as for suggestions, I'd look into the St. Croix Imperial, or the Legend Elite (of course, there are many rods that will fit your bill, I'm just suggesting rods with which I have a lot of experience). These are fast action rods, but with fairly soft tips, that not only protect tippets well, but also allow you to get away with those shorter, softer presentations.

I have the Imperial (4 years now) in a 9' 5 wt. (can be had in a 8 ft. 6 in.) and it is by far my most versatile rod, able to cast small dries 20 ft., toss wind resistant dries, chuck a heavy indicator rig, or bomb large streamers 80 ft. on 250 grain sink tip line. I've cast the legend Elite, and I find it to be a more sophisticated version of the Imperial, and IMO, more than a match for some of the $700+ rods out there. But unless you're going to be doing something extreme or very technical with this rod, my thought is that the Imperial will be more than enough rod for your general presentation purposes. The LE is kind of 'all your bell and whistles' rod, though I'm reasonably certain you'll never reach the performance envelope of that rod, you might possibly with the Imperial. Possibly.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 05-28-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 AM

zelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but in case you haven't, here's my two cents.

First, test cast as many rods as you can, even rods that are well out of your price range. What you need to look for (or 'feel' for), is the rod that best suits your cast. the rod that throws the line far as you need, throws it where you need it, and feels good when you do it.

Here's my point about casting rods that are 'out of range.' You might discover an 'action' that you really like in one of those rods. And there's a good chance that someone (maybe the same maker) makes a rod that has similar action characteristics but for a lot less money. But your first goal should be figuring out what your casting style "likes."

Now, as for suggestions, I'd look into the St. Croix Imperial, or the Legend Elite (of course, there are many rods that will fit your bill, I'm just suggesting rods with which I have a lot of experience). These are fast action rods, but with fairly soft tips, that not only protect tippets well, but also allow you to get away with those shorter, softer presentations.

I have the Imperial (4 years now) in a 9' 5 wt. (can be had in a 8 ft. 6 in.) and it is by far my most versatile rod, able to cast small dries 20 ft., toss wind resistant dries, chuck a heavy indicator rig, or bomb large streamers 80 ft. on 250 grain sink tip line. I've cast the legend Elite, and I find it to be a more sophisticated version of the Imperial, and IMO, more than a match for some of the $700+ rods out there. But unless you're going to be doing something extreme or very technical with this rod, my thought is that the Imperial will be more than enough rod for your general presentation purposes. The LE is kind of 'all your bell and whistles' rod, though I'm reasonably certain you'll never reach the performance envelope of that rod, you might possibly with the Imperial. Possibly.

Peace.
St.Croix looked very nice, but almost impossible to get here in Norway it seems. There was some talk about it on a forum here, but seems like the only shop who had them is out of business. But I imagine I could get away with a good price if there was a US store who had them on sale and would ship to Norway. Even with 20 or 25% tax (dont remember) it could be a good price.

But I'm waiting to hear from the guy with the hardy zenith #4 8" if he has all the bag, case and warranty card. If not I think I have to continue searching. I think even though it was a bit lower class than i was looking for im sure I would be happy.

edit: I'll let you know when I get the answer from that guy. Meanwhile, look at this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/St-Croix-Leg...item4172499007

This is the cheapest new one I could find on ebay. They also have the same rod in 8'6" and I can choose a line for free also. Shipping was cheap aswell. If you know any other serious stores who has this rod and maybe ship to Norway, let me know! The imperial is half the price of the legend elite. Would you say it is worth the difference?

Last edited by zelly; 05-29-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Okay, the guy with the hardy zenith didnt want to sell it to me because I was too fresh in fly fishing, maybe he has a point? Would the St. Croix imperial or legend elite/ultra be something for me then?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Zelly, that guy is what one in the states would call a "douche". Don't listen to a word that guy told you. "too fresh" pfft

The imperial would be a great option if you can get one... I have one in 4wt.. reel seat is a tad bit small but aside from that it's a great rod overall... probably my best roll casting rod... but can also chuck a #6 bigger wrapped in .030 lead... or land a dry oh so delicately or turn over a double nymph rig w/ indicator
utah daveii and djamtime like this.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Zelly, that guy is what one in the states would call a "douche". Don't listen to a word that guy told you. "too fresh" pfft

The imperial would be a great option if you can get one... I have one in 4wt.. reel seat is a tad bit small but aside from that it's a great rod overall... probably my best roll casting rod... but can also chuck a #6 bigger wrapped in .030 lead... or land a dry oh so delicately or turn over a double nymph rig w/ indicator
He said something about that it might make me loose interest in fly fishing because it is too hard, dno But I sent a mail to St. Croix about where I could buy their rods, because I could'nt find any dealers here. Also I forgot to mention in this thread that my reel is a Vision XLA Hard #5-6. If it is important :P
Anyway, yea imperial looks great, but so do legend elite Is legend elite harder to use you think, or is it just a better rod period? Then I will just get the legend, but if it is hard to cast with for someone like me I'll get the imperial. Even though the legend elite looks alot better
Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelly View Post
He said something about that it might make me loose interest in fly fishing because it is too hard, dno But I sent a mail to St. Croix about where I could buy their rods, because I could'nt find any dealers here. Also I forgot to mention in this thread that my reel is a Vision XLA Hard #5-6. If it is important :P
Anyway, yea imperial looks great, but so do legend elite Is legend elite harder to use you think, or is it just a better rod period? Then I will just get the legend, but if it is hard to cast with for someone like me I'll get the imperial. Even though the legend elite looks alot better
Zelly,

IMO you are better off not doing business with someone so opinionated.

If a man wants a zenith... well give him a zenith!!!

Besides that, I own an imperial, and two higher end rods. The imperial has caught every bit the fish the others have. The only difference is the components. By this I do not mean that they are not as good, Just simply not as expensive and shiny. There have been times when I have found that i enjoy my imperial more because of this. When take my T&T fishing I feel like I have to be overly careful, and heaven help us if she gets a scratch. Now my $200 imperial.. Im not sayin' she's a beater, but I string her up and have fun. I dont feel like I have to worry so much.

Hope this helps and best of luck finding your rod.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamtime View Post
Zelly,

IMO you are better off not doing business with someone so opinionated.

If a man wants a zenith... well give him a zenith!!!

Besides that, I own an imperial, and two higher end rods. The imperial has caught every bit the fish the others have. The only difference is the components. By this I do not mean that they are not as good, Just simply not as expensive and shiny. There have been times when I have found that i enjoy my imperial more because of this. When take my T&T fishing I feel like I have to be overly careful, and heaven help us if she gets a scratch. Now my $200 imperial.. Im not sayin' she's a beater, but I string her up and have fun. I dont feel like I have to worry so much.

Hope this helps and best of luck finding your rod.
Thanks for your help! I'm thinking about just buyig the imperial then St Croix 2011 Imperial 905 4 9 ft 5 Fly Rod Free Line | eBay

I have to buy from this guy then. Is this the newest imperial model? The included line, should be pretty good right? Also is this the best lenght on the rod?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I don't have any 1st hand experience with 'em, plus I'm a newb to FF as well, but have read some good comments on the Alexa brand, and believe they are based in the UK, maybe you could check into them. Most comments I've read are positive, and have a no questions asked return policy so you don't have much too lose by trying one. GL in your search. I got an Echo solo beginner set up and a Reddington Crosswater set up as in my search for the "right" rod for me. Both are good set ups and prefer these over a TFO Pro Sig at this point in my FF career.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I don't have any 1st hand experience with 'em, plus I'm a newb to FF as well, but have read some good comments on the Alexa brand, and believe they are based in the UK, maybe you could check into them. Most comments I've read are positive, and have a no questions asked return policy so you don't have much too lose by trying one. GL in your search. I got an Echo solo beginner set up and a Reddington Crosswater set up as in my search for the "right" rod for me. Both are good set ups and prefer these over a TFO Pro Sig at this point in my FF career.
I think I've made up my mind now after talking to St. Croix support. Looks like this is the rod for me at a great price and shipping + free line. I think this is the rod that can take my casting skills to the next level since im stangering a little right now with my equipment and interest. Maybe I will get the legend elite in a couple of years when I'm pro
Old 05-30-2013, 05:59 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

The loop opti rods are great rods. They are a little slower action than most, though. For top end rods, the new Helios 2 is the best you can buy for an all around 5 weight, in my opinion. I also have a mid priced Winston GVX which is also a fantastic rod.