The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 AM

zelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New #5 rod - recomendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutchaser8 View Post
The loop opti rods are great rods. They are a little slower action than most, though. For top end rods, the new Helios 2 is the best you can buy for an all around 5 weight, in my opinion. I also have a mid priced Winston GVX which is also a fantastic rod.
I'm buying the imperial today, but maybe in a year or something I'll be checking out some of the more premium models like you mentioned. I am gonna go and try a orvis sometime and see if I like it because they have great warranty.

But before I'm buying the st. croix imperial 8,5" #5 4-piece are there any reason I should go a class lower to #4? Seems to me like #4 is the new allround or am I wrong? Lets say im fishing a small stream, would a 4 be ALOT better than a 5 or no difference? Maybe 5 is ALOT better than 4 when fishing in stillwater or bigger rivers. What do you think?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Zelly,
Welcome, I should start out by saying be careful when taking a look at say, the yellowstone angler 5 weight shootouts. Reason being, those fellas only give fast action rods a solid review, anything with a slower more progressive action are given poor reviews but that doesn't mean they're bad rods. Every angler has different opinions about which rod is the BEST for him/her.

I recently had and fished a g.loomis NRX 9' 5weight (Known as one of the best rods on the market), this rod was incredibly fast and smooth with a reletively soft tip, generated the nicest laser tight loops and could throw anything with precision. However, b/c of the fast action, it lacked in feel and soul, I just couldn't get into it, even though it was an incredible fishing tool.

So, I went ahead and traded it in and got myself a sage VXP 9' 5 weight. This rod has a much softer action and flexes lower on the rod blank. Now, I am exremely happy with my choice. Even though the VXP scored very poorly in the yellowstone angler 5 weight shootout and the NRX scored very high in thier 2011 5 weight shootout. I am MUCH happier with the VXP than the NRX. What you should take from this is; Get the rods in your hands at a fly shop and find out which rod is going to be the 'best' for you! Like a gentleman mentioned earlier, orvis is doing 20% off rod outfits, the Orvis acces 9' 5weight tip-flex or 8'6" 5weight mid-flex are great choices, I own the 8'6" 5weight access and love it. The sage approach and sage VXP 9' 5weights are both excellent and forgiving rods good for a beginner. The Winston BIIIX 9' 5weight is another great choice (if price isn't an issue), this rod is unparrelled in craftsmanship and smooth action. Point is, the big manufacturers have so many choices and its hard to wade through the swamp of marketing and advertising mumbo-jumbo. All these companies make you believe thier rod is the finest on the market, and one you simply can't live without. It's absurd, so my advice again to you is; go to a fly shop, and start test casting rods until one of them just strikes you as "IT". I've provided a few examples to get you started if you'd like. Also, go ahead and private message me if you'd like further advice and/or suggestions from me. Good luck Zelly!

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Also Zelly, before buying that st.croix imperial, I would try casting the st. croix legend elite, before making your final decision on the imperial. The legend elite is an incredible stick for under $500, and has performance advantages over the imperial. Oh and Zelly when somone on the forum says; A specific rod "is the best all-around 5weight on the market" You have to take that with a grain of salt, there is NO best all-around 5weight, because one guy's best allaround 5weight might not be MY best allaround 5 weight, you will learn this for yourself as you become a more experienced angler and fly-caster.
dpreller likes this.

Last edited by thenewlushlife; 05-31-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
Zelly,
Welcome, I should start out by saying be careful when taking a look at say, the yellowstone angler 5 weight shootouts. Reason being, those fellas only give fast action rods a solid review, anything with a slower more progressive action are given poor reviews but that doesn't mean they're bad rods. Every angler has different opinions about which rod is the BEST for him/her.

I recently had and fished a g.loomis NRX 9' 5weight (Known as one of the best rods on the market), this rod was incredibly fast and smooth with a reletively soft tip, generated the nicest laser tight loops and could throw anything with precision. However, b/c of the fast action, it lacked in feel and soul, I just couldn't get into it, even though it was an incredible fishing tool.

So, I went ahead and traded it in and got myself a sage VXP 9' 5 weight. This rod has a much softer action and flexes lower on the rod blank. Now, I am exremely happy with my choice. Even though the VXP scored very poorly in the yellowstone angler 5 weight shootout and the NRX scored very high in thier 2011 5 weight shootout. I am MUCH happier with the VXP than the NRX. What you should take from this is; Get the rods in your hands at a fly shop and find out which rod is going to be the 'best' for you! Like a gentleman mentioned earlier, orvis is doing 20% off rod outfits, the Orvis acces 9' 5weight tip-flex or 8'6" 5weight mid-flex are great choices, I own the 8'6" 5weight access and love it. The sage approach and sage VXP 9' 5weights are both excellent and forgiving rods good for a beginner. The Winston BIIIX 9' 5weight is another great choice (if price isn't an issue), this rod is unparrelled in craftsmanship and smooth action. Point is, the big manufacturers have so many choices and its hard to wade through the swamp of marketing and advertising mumbo-jumbo. All these companies make you believe thier rod is the finest on the market, and one you simply can't live without. It's absurd, so my advice again to you is; go to a fly shop, and start test casting rods until one of them just strikes you as "IT". I've provided a few examples to get you started if you'd like. Also, go ahead and private message me if you'd like further advice and/or suggestions from me. Good luck Zelly!

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Also Zelly, before buying that st.croix imperial, I would try casting the st. croix legend elite, before making your final decision on the imperial. The legend elite is an incredible stick for under $500, and has performance advantages over the imperial. Oh and Zelly when somone on the forum says; A specific rod "is the best all-around 5weight on the market" You have to take that with a grain of salt, there is NO best all-around 5weight, because one guy's best allaround 5weight might not be MY best allaround 5 weight, you will learn this for yourself as you become a more experienced angler and fly-caster.
Thanks for your input. I have no chance in hell trying to cast a st. croix here in Norway since there are no dealers Ideally, yes I would like to try as many rods as possible and then decide what to get. But I live 2 hours away from the nearest place like that, and they only have loomis and guideline. Next time Im going shopping I will try to ask other shop if it is possible to try. But I took a chance and ordered the imperial now. Great price even with taxes, compared to alot here in Norway. Then I have something to compare with, and I can go searching for a new rod after this summer maybe
Old 05-31-2013, 10:09 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I would recommend a nice medium to medium fast action rod. A Scott G2 or a Winston WT fit this category. I'm not sure what Sage and T & T models fit that category. Both the rods I mentioned are lifetime buys and yet are forgiving of timing problems. My personal favorite is the Scott G2 8'4" 5 wt.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

The Imperial 4 wt. (8' 6") is a almost a light 5 wt. so it also would be a good choice, but as an all-around rod, I think the 5 wt. is better. You did mention that you'd be fishing everything from streams to lakes, floating line to sinking, correct? In my experience the sinking lines is where the 4 wt. would struggle.

On the other hand, the 5 wt. can handle up to a 250 grain sink tip line without difficulty. I regularly can cast this line over 80 ft. from a float tube, over 90 ft. standing (I am not a great caster, so if I can do it, anyone can). The 4 wt. can't equal half that performance with sinking line. In fact, I tried casting 150 grain line with my 4 wt. and struggled to get more than 45 ft. or so (standing) out of it.

Also, the 5 wt. can effectively cast a wider range of weights. Everything from a true 5 wt. line up to 7 wt. WF-F can be used on that rod without difficulty. The point I'm trying to make is that if you fish in less than ideal conditions (i.e. wind), then the 5 wt. is probably a better all-around rod choice.

Note: if you're going to do a lot of roll casting, may I suggest Rio Gold 5 wt. WF-F line. It's actually 5.5, and in my experience allows for easier rollcasting than true 5 wt. line.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

(/QUOTE)Oh and Zelly when somone on the forum says; A specific rod "is the best all-around 5weight on the market" You have to take that with a grain of salt, there is NO best all-around 5weight, because one guy's best allaround 5weight might not be MY best allaround 5 weight, you will learn this for yourself as you become a more experienced angler and fly-caster.[/QUOTE] I was just saying that it is MY favorite 5 wt (which is why I said,"in my opinion") and it is a great rod that he should check out. You should definitely try to cast a rod before buying it......Sorry if my wording was not very clear

Last edited by troutchaser8; 06-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 AM

Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I went for the 5wt 8,6" imperial and got an included scientific anglers line. Now i'm waiting for it and hoping it will fit me well. Hope I dont get any trouble with combining my reel, vision xla hard #5-6.