The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 11:42 PM

double d is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clearwater and Sage One 4wt

I can't comment on the Sage, but I do own the Clearwater and I can say that Orvis has just outstanding service from your regional store to the HQ in Vermont. The Clearwater is well made and I'm like you, somewhat new to the world of fly fishing. You also can't beat the warranty that Orvis offers. Good luck.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Regarding Sage warranty, I broke my top section of my One rod with a fly that had bead chain eyes. 14 days later I had my rod back with a new top section.

Kim
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I can attest to the warranty and customer service of Sage as I've had nothing but good experiences. I also really like their rods. That being said I couldn't appreciate the difference in mid range to upper level rods for quite a while. Then as others have mentioned the preference of a rod varies greatly amongst the individual. If your just as satisfied with the cheaper rod then that should be your answer.

Besides if you stick with the sport your going to be collecting lots of rods in the near future. You can always upgrade when you appreciate them more.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:52 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

This is a timely post.
I am considering a Orvis Clearwater in a 10' 4wt for a lake rod.
Sounds like it may be a good choice...

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 07-20-2013, 02:50 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

you have come down to 2 rods and your stuck on the fence. This is fantastic because the price difference between them is $500. It sort of makes the choice easy, I should tell you that the orvis clearwater graphite is top notch, this rod truely is amazing at $200, time and again people get confused by the low price. The clearwater is a true steel, there is almost zero vibration in the blank, it tracks line incredibly well, deadly accurate and light weight. It is a teer 1 rod disguised in an affordable rods body, you won't be dissapointed. However, like someone said earlier, the choice will come down to you and what feels best for your technique and uses. I have cast both rods extensively and I'm biased because I don't like the ONE at all. I love sage graphite such as z-axis, VXP and TXL-F rod series, but the ONE is so incredibly stiff. You will get far more line feel with the clearwater, and your range of casting technique will be increased with the clearwater because of its more flexible blank. I guess I just think starting out on a rod such as the sage ONE will cause you to only be accustomed to super fast rods, its good to learn on a slower action rod because it increases your knowlege and ability of how to cast different style rods, I believe it will make you a better fly caster and angler. My 2 cents love it or hate it.

P.S. I should also mention that wit the clearwater or any other orvis rod if you don't like any of the features on the rod you can send it into the rod shop via an orvis retail location and they will customize the rod to your specifications for a minimal fee. Thats insane customer service, I respect this organization immensly for this reason and their level of concern for thier anglers.

Last edited by thenewlushlife; 07-20-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM

keiths is on a distinguished road

I got the 904-4 Clearwater combo in June. I do not regret it in any way. Great combo for the money.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 PM

these go to 11 will become famous soon enough

I just started fly fishing about a year ago, and I bought a Clearwater. I did so after reading reviews, and in part due to some exceptional customer service at the Orvis store. I've fished with it 2-3 times per week since then, and I really like it. I don't think for a new fly fisherman that you can go wrong with the Clearwater. In the past year I've caught cuts, browns, brookies, bows, and salmon on mine and I know it will continue to serve me well. The 25 year warranty is nice, too.

I get the Clearwater and use the extra cash you'll save on waders and other supplies.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I love my Clearwater. I would suggest a different reel though maybe the cfo or access. I have the Hydros line and it compliments the rod nicely.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Location: The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blue line
motorshooter is on a distinguished road

I love my older Orvis Clearwater stick, it can cast a country mile. As for what rod is the best, that's up to you. Orvis has a great warranty, but the rod is built off shore. The Sage rod is produced in the USA