The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 PM

mdlb21 is on a distinguished road
Default Clearwater and Sage One 4wt

I think I already know the answer I am going to get, but given I am relatively new to the sport I thought I would ask anyway: I have thrown about every rod I can get my hands on in a 4wt. I have found after casting 20+ rods the two that fit my casting style the best are the Orvis Clearwater and Sage One. The One felt slightly lighter in swing weight, but the distance and accuracy in my casts were pretty close between the two rods. Is there any reason (customer service, fit and finish, longevity of materials, bling factor) that should sway my choice to the Sage?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:11 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Clearwater and Sage One 4wt

For the $$ difference between the two, No. I don't know the details of both companies warranties, but I imagine they are quite similar in that you get a replacement section if it breaks but for a S&H fee.

Since you are new to fly casting, it kind of makes sense that you don't notice much difference in accuracy and distance as you are still learning to really cast. At some point you will be able to feel the difference between rods like this. But price does not always equate better. Casting is personal and subjective. If you like the Clearwater as well as the One...heck, you could save a FIVE HUNDRED bucks and get a nice reel and top end line and still be ahead. Or a second rod for that matter.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

yep nothing wrong with the one or any other high end rod for that matter(I own several myself) but i wonder how many average to a little above average anglers can really extract all the potntial out of these high end rods compared to a QUALITY mid level outfit.(myself included). now im not talking about a rug beater from wal mart but a quality rod in the 250 - 400 dollar range.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I own several SAGE rods but the Orvis warranty is unbeatable. No questions asked, repair or replacement for 25yrs. I believe SAGE requires the owner to pay~ $50 for any repair. A few times that I have called the SAGE customer service, I got the impression that they weren't as good as the Orvis (but it could be the specific person I happened to get when I called)
I suggest, getting the Clearwater & using the money saved towards a decent reel / line or towards a fishing trip.
mcnerney, baseman1 and runningfish like this.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

I was in the same boat as you. I am new to fly fishing myself. My choices were the same and for the money I went with the Orvis clearwater. I got a 4wt combo that came with the large arbor reel. The fly shop I got it from, Jones Outfitters in lake Placid set it all up for me. I love the rod and I am glad that I choose it. I have a friend who chose the sage one and I have been able to use it. I like my rod. As for the warrenty just as mysticm said Orvis can't be beat. I got 25 years and pay only SH. Good luck. I hope that this helps.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have the Clearwater, but I have a lot of mid-range rods, mostly St Croix.

I do have a Sage ONE 4 wt, though. It's a nice rod. It does some things better than most other rods I have. Roll-casting is one example.

For Sage ONE money, especially if I were just starting, I'd be inclined to get a couple of mid-range rods instead, of different weights, probably a 3-4 wt and a 6 wt.

If you do go for the Sage in a 4 wt, I'd advise buying a 5.5 wt line like the SA GPX. In my opinion 4 wt lines aren't enough for that rod.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Hardy zenith or a Nrx lps would be my choice.
shimloom likes this.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

You can listen to all the reasons everybody gives but it all boils down to this: Which one do you want? If you take care of the rod there is a good chance you won't ever need any repair work anyway.
jaybo41 and stimulator2 like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Orvis rods are hard to beat for the warrenty as stated, but Sages are just casting beasts. Honestly though, I would buy the Clearwater over the ONE. I have a bunch of sage rods, 8 of them actually, but the ONE to me is not their finest work. If you are going to spend that kind of money on a Sage rod, I think the Circa is a much nicer rod.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Get the Orvis Clearwater.
double d likes this.