The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Default W W Griggs rods

I'm looking for a small rod for creek fishing. I'm usually on a large fast river, with a full size outfit, but occasionaly pack in to high lakes and mountain streams and would like something more realistically proportioned.
Has anyone had experience with the Grigg 6'6 4 piece 3 wt rod ? Looks like a fun, inexpensive choice for the backpack or truck. Opinions ?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: W W Griggs rods

My first fly rod was a WW Grigg 5/6 and I still take it with me as a back up rod.

It's not as light as all the new fancy rods, but it casts well and it saved a 3 day trip when my buddy broke his rod on the first day. He fished it the rest of the time and never complained about it.

I would say yes.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I had an eight weight that a ferrule broke on me when I first took it out for some lawn casting. I think that I just had a bad apple of the production line. WW Grigg replaced the rod for me for $20. I gave the rod to a friend who uses it for Pyramid Lake (NV) Lahottan Cutthroat Trout regularly.

I sold a bunch of these rods at a general sporting goods store. They are functional. If you plan on using it as a beater, the rod will do a fine job.

Dennis

PS: Just check the ferrules.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I buy all my kids Grigg rods as they decide to get into fly fishing and need a move-up rod. They are VERY inexpensive but are excellent little rods.

I have a few of their 6'6" rods and the kids go bonkers, they don't break very easily and I think I paid 39.00 for the last one.

Two thumbs up, as the kids get a nice rod, that I don't have to worry if it gets broken the first day out. Oh and I have yet to break one..LMAO as I have broken at least 3 sages while my kids haven't broken one of their Grigg rods.