The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Looking for a 6 wt (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/320844-looking-6-wt.html)

mbchilton 05-29-2013 11:52 PM

Looking for a 6 wt

I've decided my next rod will be a 6wt that I'll use for throwing bigger flies to primarily trout and bass. My go to rod right now is an 8' 4 wt Winston BIIx. The only thing I have larger than that is a cheap 8'6" 5 wt that I don't use much. In my head I'm thinking I'll end up with a 9' Sage, but don't know what model. I certainly enjoy the slower action of my Winston, but wouldn't mind a faster rod for what will be a much different application. I've cruised ebay a bit to see what is available, but nothing has enticed me to pull the trigger yet. I like getting a deal so I don't think I'll end up paying full retail for a brand new rod, but I am willing to spend money on a good rod. I'd love your recommendations. Of course, if someone is looking to get rid of a rod I'd be interested in that as well.

runningfish 05-30-2013 11:18 AM

Re: Looking for a 6 wt

For Bass specialized rod, please have a look at the Redington Predator $249. I just bought a 6wt 7'10" from Backcountry.com, but right now caddisflyshop is selling it with a FREE Redington reel.

Hardyreels 05-30-2013 01:39 PM

The best six weight I can think of is an old Orvis Limestone Special or Western model. By old I mean 1984 or earlier. If you're not in a hurry these come for sale now and then in mint or unused condition. The prices for mint will be high, (250 - 350) unless a bidding war erupts.

If you were to start watching for either of these rods and only consider the price being paid for them it speaks for itself. Few people want graphite as collector rods, the prices reflect something more than vintage value.

I will be picking one up over the winter, I do have a 1979 Far & Fine #5 that I got new back then. I have cast the 2 rods I mention many years ago. They are like my F&F but longer (8.5') and provide more power because of the extra 9" of length and slightly heavier shafts.

You ask, I answered, I know that to many what I say sounds a bit crazy but until you own one of these I wouldn't bet against one.

Ard

SkipS 05-30-2013 02:11 PM

I probably own more 6wt rods than any others in both glass & graphite.One is the Redington Predator mentioned and its a fun short rod for sure.Mine sees duty in saltwater & fresh.If you are looking for a short rod this is a good choice but its a 7wt rod,not a 6wt as listed.If you want a 9ft rod,one to look for is a Sage RPL.Its an old model but a much sought after rod with good reason.I have probably caught as many fish in my RPL as any rod I own.That rod was my go-to smallmouth bass rod for years.Its a fun rod to fish and is easily uplined to a 7wt line for larger flies.These come up quite often on the auction site.

Sep 05-30-2013 02:32 PM

Big fan of the Redington Predator, here too, though I have the older brown model, pre-Sage acquisition. (Actually, I own two, having gone clearout shopping for a backup when the newer version was trotted out.) A fine rod for tight places. Not a trout rod, though. Pure bass.

And since you're not looking at the high dollar rods, you might also consider the TFO BVK. A nice stick, more suited to the middle ground for trout and bass. I have a 7wt and am quite happy with it.

Good luck.

Mike

Joni 05-30-2013 03:11 PM

I cast both, the Predator and the Sage Bass. Not the same at all to me. I preferred the Sage hands down.
But you mentioned Bass and TROUT. Personally, I would stick with the Winston, A BIIx. And if you go with sage, then definitely the ONE.
Orvis Helios2 or Helios also in there.
If you are looking for UNDER $500. then I offer up the Allen Fly Fishing ICON...

mbchilton 05-30-2013 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the responses. To clarify, I am looking for a trout rod first that can also do work as a bass rod.

coolhand 05-30-2013 11:19 PM

Best bang for the buck that I know is the Echo3 , 9' #6. The new Sage Response is also a good bet for a #6 that won't break the bank. If you can find a deal on a Sage One or G. Loomis NRX , jump on it, but that is probably unlikely. As far as discontinued, used premium rods, look for a Sage XP or RPL+ , these will handle heavier duty trout fishing and big bass bugs pretty well.

biggie_robs 05-31-2013 08:37 AM

I have a 9' Sage Z-Axis 6wt that I use for those purposes. I'm very happy with it.

mudbug 05-31-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni (Post 560711)
I cast both, the Predator and the Sage Bass. Not the same at all to me. I preferred the Sage hands down.

I own a Predator and my buddy owns a Sage. I was surprised when I cast the Sage and found it much slower than the predator. I did like it and I do like my predator, but they are different.

Don't believe the story that these are just for close in casts. They may not be bomber rods, but on a recent trip to LA for redfish I made a lot of hero casts with my predator.