The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Proper maintenance/care for a cork handle?

I'm finally getting around to cleaning up an old Browning silaflex fly rod and wonder about the cork handle. It cleaned up well with mineral spirits and orange citrus, but the mineral spirits remove oils. Does it need anything on it like boiled linseeed oil?

Is there anything I should apply to the fiberglass? I was wondering about a little turtle wax or something like auto finish polish.

The old rod is a real hoot. It had an old level line that I played with--make your backcast, wait a week or two for it to load, and then bring her forward! (I bought a new 8 wt., bass taper line for it today, ). Based on some internet research, I judge it's from the 1960s. It has some features of both their kit models and some of their production models, so I can't be certain exactly what it is. In any case, I don't think it's particularly valuable aside from the fun.

I have a question on the reel forum as well--it has an old southbend on it.
Edit: was not successful on posting in the reel section. Will try again.

Last edited by Flyfisher for men; 05-31-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Proper maintenance/care for a cork handle?

I clean mine off every year or two with a sponge or washcloth, warm water, and a few drops of liquid dish detergent. Seems to work fine. without needing to oil or treat the cork.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Short answer: No.

I clean mine, if I clean them, with a bit of Soft Scrub and never apply anything after they are clean.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, guys!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:05 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I posed this same question to a few rod manufacturers and got the same answer from all. ONLY wash the cork with warm water and say a sponge, towel or something of the like. DO NOT use soaps and detergents because the chemicals will react with the adhesive between the cork rings and could swell or become warped. They all advised against using any kind of soap. Figured I would share my findings, good luck with your cleaning.