The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 04:57 AM

gibbsey is on a distinguished road
Default 10 wt rod for striped bass

Looking for recommendations for a 10wt Saltwater rod for srtiped bass on Cape Cod. I fish from the surf and will be using it fishing from a kayak as well. Been using my 8 wet and need something to throw bigger flies and punch in the wind.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 wt rod for striped bass

I don't know where you are, but I've noticed many 10wts on Craig's list in the CT/RI/Mass area.
I think that if you're careful you can very likely get a nice deal
I know my 10 gets used only for what you have in mind, so it's practically a back-up.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Budget?

Do you want a new rod?

Do you want a used rod?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM

gibbsey is on a distinguished road

New rod and $250-$300
Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a chance to cast some rods at a local fly shop, do so.

Short list:
TFO Axiom
TFO BVK
Redington Torrent
Echo Edge
Old 06-14-2013, 03:32 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough

I've had a few cheaper 10 wt. dogs that I got rid of and stick with the 2 great 9's I have when I need more backbone. Some fast 9's overlined with a 10 int. (if that's what you use in the surf- I use those and 400 -500 gr. for BIG flies) will work fine. A lousy 10 really starts to cream your shoulder after awhile, I'd test some rods to make sure you like what you get. I've heard good and cast Redington and Echos in your range. I haven't pulled anything big into the yak- maybe 34" my best- I imagine a 10 would be much better to lever a real big girl up. Let us know what you get and how it does. I'm thinking about getting one I actually like , to throw 6/0 bunny eels off the beach at night. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I haven't cast it, but I would guess that in your price range the best 10 wt rod available is probably the Temple Fork BVK. I think it's the only one at that price that uses the new nano material in the blanks, which cuts down on weight. As has been said already, casting a 10 weight can wear out your arm pretty quickly, so you want a light one.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsey View Post
New rod and $250-$300
Check this thread that I started. I grabbed this 10w BPS rod for $220- Had it out today and it had a nice feel
Had some extra cash for once (and blew it...)

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 AM

fly505 will become famous soon enough

Picked up a 9' 9-wt Echo Edge Saltwater...havnt fished it in the surf, but mostly large musky and pike...gorgeous and strong are two things that come to mind. Plus Echo has an amazing reputation from all I've talked to. I've too looked at the BVK...but steered clear from them, read and heard alot of unusual breakage in the higher weights.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

For light and fast, I would bite the bullet and get the Sage Xi3. You'll only have to buy once and never look back.

-VB