The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:01 PM

scottiecoach is on a distinguished road
Default Sage SLT

I currently have a Scott A2 and am interested in purchasing one of the discounted SLTs. Can anybody provide me a comparison of these rods? How is the action different? Will my casting technique need to change? Is the SLT immensely superior to the A2?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage SLT

The SLT will feel a bit lighter and softer in the tip section, but be overall a slighly faster action. The SLT is one of the prettier rods out there, IMO, and will have much nicer hardware than the A2.

It also comes in one of those ritzy aluminum tubes.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

I have an SLT 490 that I just got last week. It was $299 on clearance so I figured that if I ended up wanting to get my investment back, I could sell it on ebay or one of the gear swaps and not suffer too much of a loss. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to get it out on the water yet but I'd tend to agree that it's a fast action rod. I think Sage would call it medium-fast, but it feels more on the fast side to me. I'll report back after I've had some experience with this rod on the water. Also, it is definitely a pretty rod, despite the fact that it's brown in color.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:06 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

I've got two SLTs, a 586 and a 389-5. Love 'em both! My only regret was not getting the 5 wt in a 4 pc instead of the 2 pc as it would be easier to travel with it. I like the "laid back" casting style with these. They're really nice rods and it's a shame they were discontinued, but I guess that's progress, huh? It's a good looking rod, but the blue colored Xi2 I have is absolutely gorgeous. Haven't had a chance to cast a Z-Axis or the new ZXL yet, but am pretty sure I don't "need" another $600 plus rod LOL!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 PM

mikesalmon is on a distinguished road

Just purchased an SLT 790-2 piece.

Can you guys tell me what line you are using on your SLT's

I fish Mostly Salmon. I am looking at replacing a cortland 444 floating Rocket Taper that is due for replacement.

Looking for a bit of advice from someone with experience with that rod

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Mike, working for a Sage dealer I have owned my share of SLT's (282-3, 389-4, 389-5, 586-4, 690-4, 796-4), and fished yet quite a few more. IMO - First general rule, don't over line or run heavy to spec lines like GPX, Rio Grand, etc. My 586-4 and 690-4 are two of my highest mileage rods, and I really like Wulff TT and Airflow Sixth Sense (Delta Taper). One line I really like on my 796-4 was Rio Accelerator, not the greatest in close but a great mid-long shooter that was very accurate. I think there are several WF and shooting line configs that will respond well on the SLT, other than staying to true to spec weight lines I haven't found them to be to particular.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd put a SA distance line on it. Long front taper and VERY long rear taper works well for both long casts and roll casts/mending. The Airflo Ridge Distance line looks to be similar, but with the Ridge aspects as well. I haven't fished one of those yet though.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 PM

mikesalmon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys.
I think I have a good idea of what I am looking for now.

Tight Lines, Mike
Old 03-05-2008, 04:49 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I have the Selective Trout on my 490 SLT. Nice setup and I've only fished dries with it to date. Originally, I fished it with the Rio Grande and did not think that it responded well to overlining. It kind of felt like the tip disappeared and the rod hinged awkwardly from the middle of the blank.