The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Sage ONE#5...Which Line?

I am making decisions about my rod and reel selection to outfit me during my late June through late July tent camp trip to Idaho and Montana. The Sage ONE, now into its third season as a winner in my quiver, is guaranteed to be included but I have been taking something for granted. Sage, part of the Farbank group of fly fishing products, was developed using RIO Gold from a sister Farbank company. I knew this when I got it and though I did compare Gold to Grande on the new rod; I quickly decided Gold was perfect and went happily on my way fishing this ultra precise, super sensitive, masterfully construed fly rod.

It got a new reel for this summer's adventure, a Nautilus FWX 7/8, at 4.1 oz. a perfect balance for light ONE with the capacity for plenty of #30 Dacron I may need in the Land of the Giants. I've wound on the bright yellow Micron but wait, before looping on the line, lets take the dogs to the park and do some line switching lawn casting. After all, there are some new lines like Cortland's Trout BOSS I should try. I cast with Gold first and man can this rod cast, I was thinking. Then I put on the BOSS, a very nice line featuring a S&S approved extended head with long rear taper similar to Gold. Clearly and quickly it was no match for ONE a bit too soft perhaps especially in the limp high floating tip section; not the positive accuracy of the Gold. However, no point trying lines and not including the grandaddy line in this category, the seminal SA Expert Distance Taper. Not only the oldest design of these three lines and the oldest technology but the physically oldest as well. Stringing it up I gave a flick to clear slack out the tip top...wait a minuet, have I never tried this line on this rod before? I stripped more line off the reel, then some more; at close range or at distance the old Bruce Richards SA design yielded not only the tightest loops but the most stable and smoothest as well. It was intuitive to dial in subtle adjustments to eliminate any dips or bumps in loop formation regardless of the amount of line being aerilized. Quickly I reeled it in and re-mounted the reel with the Gold on it. Very nice, nothing wrong with this but...I reeled it back in and returned the reel with the old SA line.

I have been recommending RIO Gold for this rod on this forum for over two years. I am sorry and don't strip off your Gold and throw it in the round file, it is a great line. I am, however, mounting a new SA Expert Distance Taper on the new reel. It is incrementally smoother and more stable in its loop formation and, importantly, turns a 15' leader over more positively and with greater authority which will produce, I anticipate, more accurate dry fly placement. Turns out, the new winner is the old winner.
wannafish likes this.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sage ONE#5...Which Line?

Where I'm a fan of the rio gold and have used it on many of my rods, I have found that I LOVE the rio trout lt wf much, much more. The loops are tight, it will turn flies over well, and still land with the lightest of presentation. just my 2 cents
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

The Rio LT is pretty sweet on the ONE too. My 4wt ONE seems interchangeable between the Gold and the LT.

Randy
res likes this.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am in no way knocking RIO Gold, a great line I use a lot. Had I not tried the ill named "Expert Distance Taper", which I think should be reissued by the new owners as the "Presentation Taper", I would not have noticed any performance issue with my beloved ONE. And, hey, it could just be me (of course I doubt that). I have long maintained that for those with the experience to feel the difference, a big issue in fly rods is the difficulty in trying multiple lines on a given rod. It can be literally transformative though, in this case, it is more incremental. Its not the line I like, it is the line the rod likes.

Every July I host a line switching event in Craig, MT. All my buds in town plus anyone who wants in, meet on a lawn on a hatchless hot afternoon and bring our ubiquitous 9'/#5's. We switch reels around and cast one anothers rods with the varying reels/lines and, invariably, there are Holly Cows! about rod/line match-up revelations. Occasionally a frown too from someone who decides he bought the wrong rod but didn't know it. There are three fly shops in town though.

I mentioned the other day in a Scott thread that I have a 9'/#4 S3. I had tried it at Somerset and liked it but when I rigged it at home, I disliked it. What gives, I asked Scott? Try the SA GPX on it, its the line we used in developing it. OK, fine, this rod cast very well with GPX #4.5 but this is a blunt, short head, short rear taper, hingy, conventional Weight Forward line with a heavy footprint. Fine for casting weighted rigs with a thingamabobber I suppose but I don't do such fishing. So unless I have occasion to fish in Colorado, where this rod is a must fish and does fine, it stays in the closet with the Orvis and Winston rods I thought I liked while the Sage, Loomis and Hardy rods get all the glory. Now if SA or RIO would make the lines I like in half size increments, I will revisit this Scott 4.5 rod and in fact, Airflo did just introduce a 1/2 size heavy line. Hmm.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have a 5wt ONE. Mine is a 4wt.

I tried casting it with 4 wt line. It wasn't good. I then tried a 5wt SA GPX. That made a big difference.

Not coincidentally, when I measured the ERN of the rod, it came out to 5.56.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly, I'm suprised no one has mentioned the scientific angler GPX line. If I had this rod, I would without a doubt put the GPX on it, the taper puts such a sweet load on faster rods. Also contrary to popular opinion the GPX is a FULL line size heavier in terms of grains, and still heavier than rio grand. Might want to check this one out for your one rod.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM

ausable is on a distinguished road

Rio LT rocks on my six weight One!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM

I have not tried the RIO LT so I don't know how it would feel...sometimes we can be surprised if we have an open mind. But its diagram illustrates an elongated front taper, almost in the Wulff Triangle Taper category, making me question the positive + turnover of a 15'+ leader at short distances that Gold and, even more so, Expert Distance excel at. There is an intermediate front taper choice that I just realized from Russellb's post in the Reel Forum that I have neglected to try; the SA Textured TroutStalker. It is a great line on my #4 Zenith and, though it has a very long front taper of 13', that is nothing like LT's compound front taper of 28'. My instinct is that I might prefer TroutStalker in spring creek environments but on the Delaware or Missouri where my ONE sees extensive use the Expert Distance and/or Gold are likely better designs.

My experience with ONE is that it looses some of its sensitivity when over lined even a little...when I tried Grande on it my first thought was, wow, this rocks! The rod sure handles it with pop but, with further experimentation, the true to line size fly lines bring its laser-like tip travel into sharper focus and quicker recovery. Regarding the design of heavier still GPX, please note my harsh comments in an above post.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:43 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

The trout stalker, and its big cousin, the mastery textured series trout, are both amazing lines at short and medium distance. I never had the chance to get on an open stream and try it out. To me, it feel a lot like a rio gold. I had it on a winston b2t 5 weight.

I love triangle tapered lines. I have no issues with turn over. However, I fish a lot with furreled leaders. When I toss big stuff, I tend to stick with a rio outbound.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have not tried the RIO LT so I don't know how it would feel...sometimes we can be surprised if we have an open mind. But its diagram illustrates an elongated front taper, almost in the Wulff Triangle Taper category, making me question the positive + turnover of a 15'+ leader at short distances that Gold and, even more so, Expert Distance excel at. There is an intermediate front taper choice that I just realized from Russellb's post in the Reel Forum that I have neglected to try; the SA Textured TroutStalker. It is a great line on my #4 Zenith and, though it has a very long front taper of 13', that is nothing like LT's compound front taper of 28'. My instinct is that I might prefer TroutStalker in spring creek environments but on the Delaware or Missouri where my ONE sees extensive use the Expert Distance and/or Gold are likely better designs.

My experience with ONE is that it looses some of its sensitivity when over lined even a little...when I tried Grande on it my first thought was, wow, this rocks! The rod sure handles it with pop but, with further experimentation, the true to line size fly lines bring its laser-like tip travel into sharper focus and quicker recovery. Regarding the design of heavier still GPX, please note my harsh comments in an above post.
Like you I play a lot with different lines, each rod has a voice and soul and nothing brings that out like the right line. The rivers that I fish are the White and Norfork in Arkansas and the North Fork of the White in Missouri. All of these rivers require and rod that is capable of distance and accuracy.

Certainly I look at the taper of the line, some are better for dry fly presentations other not so much. I cast a Lee Wulff Triangle Taper on my 10' 5wt Sage RPL for many seasons. It carried heavy streamers and nymph rigs like a champ but was pretty "clubby" presenting dries. Next came an Airflo line , that lasted maybe two days as it didn't shoot.

I have really settled on the Textured series lines for my cold water rods in either GPX or Trout Stalker. They have just the right level of stiffness, both have a taper that loads the rod and they can shoot line like a dream AND are equally competent at casting a tandem nymph rig as a #22 midge.

For me, any line that I can effortlessly shoot line both on my forward cast and backcast is going to be more accurate. If I have to work at it, it ceases to be useful, which is why I stripped off the Airflo, tossed in the bin and gave it the finger.