The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 06:55 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default So I sold a 9' 4wt Scott and I bought a 9' 4wt Scott...

I cannot deny one simple fact- I will forever be a fan of the older fly rods, say from the 1990-2000ish. Makers such as Sage, Scott and Winston get my attention.

Last year I scored a Scott A3 9' 4wt rod at a crazy good deal via the inter webs. Even though it was Scott's more wallet friendly series, the A2, A3 and now A4 are great rods at a great price. But as good as it is, the A3 didn't speak to me.

Soooo, the hunt began. First, sell the A3, which I did fairly quickly. Then search eBay and wait till the opportunity arrises. In the meantime, I visited my local Scott dealer to try the latest offerings. I cast both a G series 9' 4wt and a S4 10' 4wt. The G was too slow for my needs, the S4 was good but I didn't really want the 10 footer. Nothing against 10 foot rods, I have one and have owned a couple others.

Then the alert came from eBay- "items matching your description have just been listed". Game on, it is a Scott STS 9' 4wt, 2 piece- exactly the rod and action I was after and at a very reasonable Buy it Now. So I did....

All cleaned up, paired with an equally cool reel, a J Ryall #4 loaded with a Scientific Anglers Textured Trout Stalker in WF4F. Scott really got it right with this 904- well done.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So I sold a 9' 4wt Scott and I bought a 9' 4wt Scott...

Nice rig. You are going to enjoy that rod.

Dennis
russellb likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have not fished it in a while but I have exactly this same rod. Terriffic!
russellb likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on scoring on such a great setup, I love Scott rods!
russellb likes this.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Drooling over your Ryall reel with the rosewood insert.
russellb likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:09 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Drooling over your Ryall reel with the rosewood insert.
Thanks! I always thought these were cool, just never got around to buying one. Once I did I realized they had got out of business and I pretty much forgot about the reels. Then a year ago my buddy had a J Ryall in olive on his 3wt and it rekindled my desire to find one. I found a seller on eBay that has bought up a large portion of the remaining stock of reels and parts. I picked this one up for 179 and he has several others here-

J RYALL REELS & REPAIR & PIX

He is very easy to work with and likely has models not mentioned on the website. For instance there is a #6 with rosewood that he has on eBay right now.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i fished my 9ft 4 wt g2 yesterday and it quickly reminded my why i will probably take it to the grave with me. hopefully many yrars from now. that thing is just an absolute sweetheart. i love my 9 ft 5 and my 8ft4inch three wt g2s also. just love me some scott rods!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It is good to have a thread rich with Scott love. I often feel Scott gets the back seat to other high end rod companies. Scott is one of the original graphite rod companies, has never supplemented its offerings with off-shore price-point product, never offered someone elses reels or other wide ranging product with their name on them and has always forged a path toward the best quality, design and craftsmanship possible. Different Scott rod series offer varied but identifiable personalities to afford different actions for different environments.

There is a purity about Scott shared by only and in a less pure way; G.Loomis, Sage and T&T (under new ownership yet again) where we fish them because we critically love the way they cast/fish rather than prejudicialy biased loyalty to their customer service, warranty, superficial aesthetics or affordability. Not that some rods from these other companies don't fish well too, there are some that do but not with Scott's integrity.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I'm reacquiring the Scott rods I once had and sold. Well actually, most of what I used to have were G series and now I getting G2s. I still have a G904/2 that is the best boat rod for trout and panfish that I could want. I wouldn't throw big streamers with it, but for dries and dry/dropper work it is great. I'm also discovering the joy of the Scott 2H world with a LS2 1408 and an ARC 1196. My G2s include the 774, 845, and 886. I also picked up a G956/4 which is proving to be a nice single hand spey rod. I still have an IM6 8'6" Winston 5 wt that I can't part with, but all the rest of the green has been replaced by dark grey.