The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM

fisher9955 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for help with vintage rods

I came across a couple old rods and would like some info about them.

The first one is a Powell "ultra 6" 9 ft dark green Rod which I can't find any info about. It looks like it was never used.

The second is a South bend no. 24 9ft Rod which is bamboo. The overall condition is decent.. but it looks pretty old.

If you guys could give me any info as far as pricing and value go that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Looking for help with vintage rods

The South Bend; if it has lettering on the butt use this chart to determine what line it is for.
How to Convert the Old Line Weights to Modern AFTMA Line Weights;

Many of the older powell rods were very versatile in the line weights often being able to line from 5 - 7, price wise I have no clue. I'm not familiar with green ones so I can't date it for you.

Value wise the South Bends are not highly sought after and sell from 35 - 85 dollars based on weight and condition, tube - sock, etc.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

For the Powell, you may want to contact Chico Fly Shop and Raptor Rod Works out of Chico, California. Both establishments have some sort of connection to the Powell Rod Company. A Google search can get you contact information.

Someone else can clue you onto the South Bend.

Dennis
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else recently asked about the 24, I think
It's a "bass action" 7wt (HCH) and one of the better South Bends.
However at 9', I think that you might find it uncomfortably tip-heavy unless you can balance it with a heavy enough reel

Ard may be undervaluing the South Bend line by just a bit.
I was recently offered $300 for one of mine, but I think that it's worth a bit more
Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 AM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

I replied to your PM on the Powell and I look forward to hearing back. Once again my website on Powell rods...

Home Page

Rich
Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I emailed the two companies and they both spoke very highly of the Powell rod and both put a value on it from $350-$375. I was going to try and sell it here in the classifieds but I need 20 post before im allowed to. I will probably list it on eBay in the next few days.

As far as the bamboo rod, I've been getting values from $85 to over $300, so I'm still unsure.

I'm not a fly Fisher so both rods at are up for sale. Rich I replied to your pm via email.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sorry if I went low on the South Bend value.

You need 100 posts before you can list sales here so eBay will be your best market.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 PM

The Powell is up for sale

Last edited by mcnerney; 06-16-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Deleted the EBay listing!