The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to get my own

+1 for what Dennis is saying about a trout reel. In most all "trout" fishing a reel is just there to hold your line, so there isn't any real need to go and buy an expensive reel especially when just starting out. As Dennis said, spend your money on getting a really good fly rod, something you will treasure for the next few decades. You can always upgrade the reel at a later date.
moucheur2003 likes this.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Time to get my own

There are a lot of good-quality medium-price rods on the market right now, but there are a lot of mediocre ones too. The 2013 Yellowstone Angler 5 weight shootout recommends the 9' 5 wt Mystic Reaper as a "best buy" at $199. I haven't tested that one myself, but it would definitely be on my short list based on their recommendation. I would also look at what high-quality value brands like Redington, TFO and Echo are currently offering. Then I would compare them to the Orvis Clearwater, which I have tested and is another surprisingly nice rod for about $200.

Ultimately it all comes down to what feels best in your hand. The more of those you can find locally and actually try, the better. If you can't try a lot of them, at least find a fly shop where the sales guy knows his stuff and isn't just talking through his hat.

You should be able to add a line and reel for $150 or less. I agree with the others who say you don't need a fancy reel for trout fishing, but you do want one sturdy enough to survive a couple of drops onto the rocks.