The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM

sam_ is on a distinguished road
Default G.Loomis 6wt vs Hardy Zenith 6wt

I'm looking at purchasing a new 6wt rod and have been looking at the G.Loomis and Hardy Zenith 6wt rods. I've lawn cast both and it's a tough choice. The Hardy is definitely a faster rod and the build quality is really great. The G.Loomis has more feel to me though and seems to have better control, especially in close. I appreciate all comments, especially if you have extensive experience with either of the rods.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: G.Loomis 6wt vs Hardy Zenith 6wt

sam

Considering your comments about each rod, it almost sounds like you are close to answering your own question.

Which model Loomis are you looking at?

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM

sam_ is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I forgot to mention I'm looking at the G.Loomis NRX.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I've been using a 6wt. NRX all spring as my streamer rod, I really like it. Like you said it just seems to have that certain feel, it fits me real well, it has plenty of power for me, and cast well up close. I have it in green not blue, cosmetically the only complaint I have is the cork, its the worst I've ever seen, but its a tradeoff I'll definitely live with it.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I would go with the Zenith 6wt. I have the Zenith 8wt and previously had the 7wt also. I don't think the Zenith is stiffer than the NRX but the Zenith load up well with nice firm tug, throw the biggest fur to a good distance and with accuracy. Very nice looking rods, light weight, modern looking and the Sintrix material.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: G.Loomis 6wt vs Hardy Zenith 6wt

Both nice rods... Probably can't miss with either one.

Weight and Swing Weight - Advantage Zenith. I really like my NRX #6, but it definitely has a heavier physical weight and swing weight than the Zenith. The Sage One beats them both by a mile though in this category.

Short Distance - Advantage NRX - softer tip, more feel. Zenith isn't nearly as versatile, IMO.

Long Distance - Tie - Both will fire it out there with authority. (Note: Sage One has more long range power than either).

I personally love the cork on the NRX rods, it is an old growth, firmer style cork, with lots of figure, different than the vanilla cork on many other rods.

G. Loomis Made in USA - Hardy rod built in Korea. Doesn't mean anything to some, but is a factor for many of us.

For me, it is easy NRX... by a nose.
imxer and mcnerney like this.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

sam

+ 1 for the Loomis. Seems logical in light of your comments about feel etc.

You might also try the GLX Streamdance High Line Speed 6 wt, another very well liked Loomis.

My 6wt is a 9ft, GLX, 4pc "Classic" type. Love it.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 06-13-2013, 06:05 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I wish you luck their both awesome rods. I favor 'loomis so the NRX would be my choice as well. Think what rods performs best for your style and go with that.

Craig
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I like the well figured, high density cork on NRX. Like Zenith, it employs a version of the 3M Silaca Nano Matrix technology. ONE is a great #6 too. All great rods without peer.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_ View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a new 6wt rod and have been looking at the G.Loomis and Hardy Zenith 6wt rods. I've lawn cast both and it's a tough choice. The Hardy is definitely a faster rod and the build quality is really great. The G.Loomis has more feel to me though and seems to have better control, especially in close. I appreciate all comments, especially if you have extensive experience with either of the rods.

Thanks,
Sam
I love both Loomis and Hardy but have not cast the #6 in either model. When you are up in this level of quality, how the particular rod feels in your own hand should be the decisive factor. You could ask yourself how you are most likely to be using it, given the places you fish and the other rods already in your quiver. Based on what you say here, if you are going to use it as more of an all-rounder, that might steer you toward the Loomis; but if you are looking for a more specialized tool for distance and big wind and weighted or air-resistant rigs, you might prefer the faster Hardy.