The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Nymph Rod Action (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/322339-nymph-rod-action.html)

williamhj 06-15-2013 11:02 PM

Nymph Rod Action

I'm looking to get a blank for high stick / tight line nymphing. Probably a 10 ft 4wt. I have a 12 ft 3wt blank I got cheap and have fished it some. It's a pretty slow rod and I've found that the length of the rod and line and the flex of the rod made it harder to set the hook. I'm looking at two blanks, one labeled fast and the other medium fast. Any thoughts on which might be a better option? I will probably use pretty light tippets - 6x and 7x.

Thanks!

mcnerney 06-16-2013 08:31 AM

Re: Nymph Rod Action

William: My thought would be to go with the medium fast blank as it will tend to protect the lighter tippets better, yet should still have the backbone to throw double nymph rigs with weight. I use a 10 ft Sage One for most of my nymphing and love the way it casts, but I really have to concentrate on not setting the hook too hard or it will break off light tippets in a heart beat. While fishing, especially in the spring after not fishing all winter, I keep having to tell myself to "just lift the rod tip". For me, the best nymphing rod I ever owned was an old Orvis TLS mid-flex rod, just fit my bad habit of tending to set the hook too hard. YMMV!

William: On your 12 ft 3 wt, when setting the hook, have you tried to simultaneously, raise the rod tip, while using the line hand do a strip set.......to help speed the hook set? Just wondering if that would solve the issue with the 12 ft rod.

planettrout 06-16-2013 09:45 AM

I also would go with a medium fast blank. One of my all time favorite nymphing/wet fly rods is a Scott G Series 10', 5wt.

Here is something that will assist, in preventing break offs, when using very light tippets...

Frontrangeanglers.com - Shock Tippets

I also use the Roman Moser "Shock Gum Loops", which essentially do the same thing:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/rm-sgl-1.jpg

PT/TB ;)

williamhj 06-16-2013 01:15 PM

Thanks for the answers! I was initially leaning towards the fast action but was wondering about protecting tippets so you both gave substance to my concern. I'll go the medium - fast action route.

Larry, I end up needing to both strip strike and raise the tip on the 12'er and that works. My hope is that I can set the hook with a bit more subtlety so if there's no fish I can continue the drift. With the 12'er if I miss the strike or if the fly was just ticking bottom the set is so dramatic that it usually ends the drift and I have to recast.

Planettrout, I'll check out those shock tippets, they look helpful especially with 7x! Thanks

imxer 06-29-2013 02:24 PM

William

For setting the hook try keeping the line tight with the rod tip low and set in a motion parallel to the water surface and downstream. Should pull the hook into the fishes mouth in most instances.
Best of luck.

williamhj 06-29-2013 02:53 PM

Thanks, sometimes with high sticking nymphing my rod tip is a ways off the water's surface partly to get a drift a bit further than I'm able with the rod tip low. I do shoot for the tight line but not always possible. Even with the tight line I found the hook-set motion needed with a long and very flexible rod and length of line out the tip-top, would pull the fly out or nearly out of the water if there wasn't a fish hooked.

imxer 06-29-2013 04:32 PM

William,

I agree that a stiffer rod would probably help.

Set the hook by moving the rod tip downstream and parallel with the water surface. The hook should end up in the fishes mouth or still drifting.

glacierjohn 07-01-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imxer (Post 568147)
William,

I agree that a stiffer rod would probably help.

Set the hook by moving the rod tip downstream and parallel with the water surface. The hook should end up in the fishes mouth or still drifting.

This is a very good question. I was just in my local fly shop swapping putting new reels on two of my rods, including my moderate action Scott G 904-4. One of the guys picked it up and said it would be a great nymphing rod. That I don't get, to me it is a wonderful dry fly rod, it seems like nymphing is just lobbing weight out there.

I also remember drifting the Big Horn river one year in hot august weather. The fish were all on the bottom of this deep river, my two buddies had fast action Sage rods and were catching fish right and left as we bounced nymphs with split shot along the bottom. I was getting hit after hit, but with my much softer tip could not set the hook. That convinced me that I needed a little stiffer rod for nymphing.

John

williamhj 07-01-2013 11:40 AM

Yup, fast action blank is already on its way :)