The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM

dusty h is on a distinguished road
Default Best Streamer Rod Under $300

Alright guys, I need some opinions on the best streamer rod for under $300. I know that most people will say that I need to spend a little more $$$ and get a better quality rod. Normally I would agree but I need this rod quick and that is my max budget in order to accommodate setting the whole rig up (rod, reel, line) I know its not going to be the lightest or best rod for that price but it just needs to perform for what it is going to be which is a most likely a dedicated streamer rod with sink tip line and maybe an extra spool with full sink for lake fishing. So if you have any opinions or suggesting (please add line weight and length) please let me know.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM

jessezm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Streamer Rod Under $300

Used Sage RPL/RPL+ series on Ebay? $150-$250 all day long and a fantastic rod for streamers and casts great as well. I have a 9.5 ft 5wt RPL+ and love it. Just my opinion!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough

I've got an echo edge saltwater that I absolutely love...$250. Another rod that I was looking at that supposedly is near bulletproof and can launch some serious line is the Echo ion in either 7-9 wts 9ft...from what I've read they have great smooth power to launch big flies and strong backbone for fighting and landing big fish, a true workhorse rod....all at $189...great company too!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 AM

moucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nice

Get a used Orvis Hydros Tip Flex or a Sage Z-Axis. Better than anything new on the market for $300.

But if you do want to buy new, I think the Temple Fork BVK is a pretty good one. I would also suggest looking at the Greys XF2 Streamflex. (I haven't cast one of those, but I own a 9' 6 wt X-Flite that is a pleasure to cast, and the XF2 is its successor.)
biggie_robs likes this.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 06-18-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Pro 4 x. Seems like a hot new rod at a better price point.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM

moucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty h View Post
Alright guys, I need some opinions on the best streamer rod for under $300. I know that most people will say that I need to spend a little more $$$ and get a better quality rod. Normally I would agree but I need this rod quick and that is my max budget in order to accommodate setting the whole rig up (rod, reel, line)
Wait a minute, is $300 your budget for the rod only, or the whole outfit?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM

stripers is on a distinguished road

X 2 on an ion or edge, I own a few echo rods and love them they are good good quality and very durable plus lifetime warranties.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Wait a minute, is $300 your budget for the rod only, or the whole outfit?
Just the rod. I already have a reel that I am going to setup with a sink tip
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Get a used Orvis Hydros Tip Flex or a Sage Z-Axis. Better than anything new on the market for $300.

But if you do want to buy new, I think the Temple Fork BVK is a pretty good one. I would also suggest looking at the Greys XF2 Streamflex. (I haven't cast one of those, but I own a 9' 6 wt X-Flite that is a pleasure to cast, and the XF2 is its successor.)
I like my 5 wt XP or my 7 wt. BVK for the bigger stuff. The 590 Z Axis is great, I just personally prefer the slightly stiffer XP for streamers. You can find one cheaper than a z too. I paid 325 for my z used, and most. I've seen to for about $400
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Well I am probably buying either today or tomorrow so any last opinions let me know. I was very firm in the $300 limit but I almost fell to the temptation of the st. Croix bank robber but I really can't justify $400 bucks. The more I look into things I am leaning towards the Echo Ion 6 weight. Really I have heard nothing but good things with the only draw back being its a little on the heavy side but that is expected for something in that price point. I don't see anything else that will give me that type of value unless I start jumping up about another $150. Who know though, I seem to change my mind about ever five minutes until I actually pull the trigger.

On a side note for anyone with experience with the ion what would you suggest for length? I am deffinitely going with the 6 weight but I am not sure on the 9' or 10'. I assume I will be using this rod mostly tossing streamers on the river but i also occasionally take my pontoon float up to Strawberry and throw a full sink line for those cutties. Do you think the extra length is worth it or counter productive for rivers like the Green, Provo and Truckee?