The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM

little yellow humpy is on a distinguished road
Default Choosing my next rod

So far I have a 5 wt and an 8 wt rod. I do mostly river and stream fishing, sometimes lakes too. I'm trying to decide between getting a 6 wt or a 4 wt as my next rod. Don't know if I even need them but there's something about this sport where buying **** is almost as enjoyable as the sport itself!!! (Well...not quite.) Anyway....given the rods I have, any opinions on what weight I should include in my arsenal?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing my next rod

Do much small stream fishing for little fish? I might go towards a 3wt personally. That or might do something different like a fiberglass or bamboo rod for trout. Not sure a 6wt would open many doors if you have a good 5 and 8wt. The 4wt is similar unless it is distinct from the 5wt, like longer for nymphing or something with different action. That said, I get the 'buy more gear' instinct I have to resist sometimes.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

LYH,

If you want to get your reps in on our trout streams this summer / early fall with the lower flows ( less precipitation this year ) with the new rod , go with an eight and half foot to nine foot - four weight. That will give you something to look forward to buying in the fall - early winter, that being the six weight.

Good luck, TT
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

If your 5 weight is a 9 footer, I would suggest a gentle action 4 weight that is 7-8 feet. It will give you extra capability for small-stream fishing and delicate presentations. In contrast, a 9 foot 6 will give you a little extra casting power but will mostly duplicate what you can already do with your 5.

Ont he other hand, if your 5 weight has a softer action and/or is 8' 6" or less, you may find that a 9 foot 6 will give you more utility for long casts, windy days, and/or weighted rigs, while a 4 would do most of the things that your 5 already does.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 PM

little yellow humpy is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the replies. I should add that my next rod will likely be the rod I let other people use when we go camping, etc., and they want to learn. I was leaning toward a 6wt so they could use it on rivers and on lakes as well for bass and larger trout.

William: I do catch small fish up near and in Yosemite, although I don't set out with a goal to catch small fish.

Trekker: I like the way you think!

Moucheur: I was ready to pull the trigger on a 4 wt, 7-6 ft. rod for 50% off but I was discouraged by someone who told me they use theirs so rarely. So I listened and lost out. Both of my rods, the 5 and 8, are 9 footers.

Thanks again for the opinions.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

If you plan to use it as a kind of back up, you probably will be happier with the 6 wt.

My 4 weights are purely for pleasure, and as such I fish them every chance I get. In fact, I've fished a 4 weight on every trip in the last 4 years. I like throwing medium to smallish dries on small creeks or even on lakes. I even toss hopper/dropper rigs with my 4 wts.

In my opinion, 4 weights are 3 weights that you can cast in windier conditions, and cast more kinds and sizes of flies. For example, I can cast my 3 wt. in winds up to around 10 mph, after that it gets ugly. My 4 wt. can handle up to 15 or so (this may vary depending on brands, lengths, lines, techniques, etc., but that's another question). So, many days that I can't unlimber the 3 wt., I can still fish my 4. And it's lighter, has a more moderate casting action than either of my 5 weights, which makes casting more enjoyable for me.

It might be easier to discuss what a 4 weight won't do, or at least what it doesn't like to do. In a word, heavy. Heavy lines, heavy/wind resistant flies, rigs, split shots, etc. are not what 4 weights are about, in general. You can make some of them cast these kinds of things, but it'll probably be a struggle. In other words, not fun.

anyway, hope that helps.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by little yellow humpy View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I should add that my next rod will likely be the rod I let other people use when we go camping, etc., and they want to learn. I was leaning toward a 6wt so they could use it on rivers and on lakes as well for bass and larger trout.

William: I do catch small fish up near and in Yosemite, although I don't set out with a goal to catch small fish.

Trekker: I like the way you think!

Moucheur: I was ready to pull the trigger on a 4 wt, 7-6 ft. rod for 50% off but I was discouraged by someone who told me they use theirs so rarely. So I listened and lost out. Both of my rods, the 5 and 8, are 9 footers.

Thanks again for the opinions.
You won't use a shorter 4 as often as your all-rounder 5, true, but you will have more fun with it in the situations that call for it. It will do things the heavier 9 footer just can't do as well.

Choosing whether to use a 9' 5 or 6 if you have both will be more of a six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other proposition. The 5 will be a little more sensitive and the 6 will have a little more oomph, but they both will do pretty much the same things. If you want to be able to bring along an all-purpose rod for a buddy who doesn't have one, get the 6. You'll end up preferring either the 5 or the 6 most of the time yourself, and the other will become your spare.