The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 8.5 or 9 ft for a 4wt?

I am speaking of an economy brand here so take this for what it's worth but I replaced an 8.5' Fenwick HMX 6wt with a 9' HMX recently because I had lost the tip section of the 8.5' rod. I can't believe the difference in feel that 6 inches made. I don't find I like the longer rod as much; seems a lot heavier and thicker in the butt section, almost feels more like an 8wt than a six.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I am speaking of an economy brand here so take this for what it's worth but I replaced an 8.5' Fenwick HMX 6wt with a 9' HMX recently because I had lost the tip section of the 8.5' rod. I can't believe the difference in feel that 6 inches made. I don't find I like the longer rod as much; seems a lot heavier and thicker in the butt section, almost feels more like an 8wt than a six.
Yes, that is the point the Orvis designer I mentioned back in post #8 was making. To get those extra 6 inches you can't add more tip because you have to maintain a taper and it's already as thin as it should be, so you have to add to the butt where it's stiffer and heavier.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 06-19-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Though the same configuration, the Orvis Western was Orvis's crisper action rod series in the 80's, likely inspired by work Scott was doing then. It has been a while but I recall Morgan's 8'/#4 was more full flexing, nice rod though. More to my modern preference but there can't be that many around; I really liked the old Albright EXS 8 1/2'/#4 and of course the award winning Zenith of this configuration is great.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Though the same configuration, the Orvis Western was Orvis's crisper action rod series in the 80's, likely inspired by work Scott was doing then. It has been a while but I recall Morgan's 8'/#4 was more full flexing, nice rod though. More to my modern preference but there can't be that many around; I really liked the old Albright EXS 8 1/2'/#4 and of course the award winning Zenith of this configuration is great.
You and I seem to like all the same rods. I guess I ought to check out the NRX! (Except I've already got a 9x4 IMX and I don't really need to replace it.)
imxer likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I know, I know but...I too had an IMX 9'/#4. I really liked a lot about it; the grey wraps, the dura-wood seat spacer but the tip was too soft and, under load, it could collapse during casting, as many of Gary Loomis's early designs did, yielding a mushy tip feeling and impacting accuracy. When I tried a friends GLX, the lights went on, I immediately got one and gave my IMX to a friend. He never really clicked with it and gave it to his wife when she decided to take up fishing. NRX is the beginning of the future of G.Loomis with Steve Rajeff's hand firmly on the tiller. I did though, step back in time (rare for me) and just got this Rajeff re-designed Streamdance GLX #4. This is an intermediate step in my 8 1/2'/#4 perpetual progression as I hope/anticipate that a future NRX2 will offer the penultimate spring creek dry fly special. I have never cast two rods of this size; the Sage ONE and the Orvis H2...I will attempt to lawn cast them while in Montana.
imxer likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the H2. I test cast the 8 1/2' 5 wt mid flex H2 at a show last winter, and I thought it was delightful.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

There is a difference with the TFO PRO SERIES. I bought my daughter a 9, I already had an 8'6". My rod is not as stiff as the 9 '. I like mine better.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM

I cast several H2's at Somerset including both tip and mid-flex 9'/#5's. The 8 1/2'/#4 was not yet developed. In a blind trade off with a fishing friend, we both thought the tip-flex more than preferable to the dull-tipped, hingy, mid-flex. There now is a mid-flex 8 1/2'/#4 but no tip-flex forthcoming. Oh well, I will try the mid-flex but what are these folks thinking? I will say, the H2 9'/#8, in this case tip-flex only, may be the best graphite rod Orvis has built in three decades. Go figure; what hey are not none for they build a winner and what they design for their local streams only they and their loyalists can adore.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I remember you were working on your mojo Pocono
Don't know if that was meant to be funny, but it was. I wonder if mojo would agree?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I cast several H2's at Somerset including both tip and mid-flex 9'/#5's. The 8 1/2'/#4 was not yet developed. In a blind trade off with a fishing friend, we both thought the tip-flex more than preferable to the dull-tipped, hingy, mid-flex. There now is a mid-flex 8 1/2'/#4 but no tip-flex forthcoming. Oh well, I will try the mid-flex but what are these folks thinking? I will say, the H2 9'/#8, in this case tip-flex only, may be the best graphite rod Orvis has built in three decades. Go figure; what hey are not none for they build a winner and what they design for their local streams only they and their loyalists can adore.
Over the years Orvis catalogs have consistently promoted the 8 1/2' 5 wt and the 9' 8 wt as their best all-round rods for trout and saltwater, respectively, so it makes sense to me that they would take extra care to get those two just right in a new product series. When they filled in the gaps in the series I;m sure they probably spent more time on some than others. I'm guessing they conceive of their 9' models as competitiors to Sage for Western conditions and so put more effort into the faster designs than the slower ones. If you want a medium action 5 weight they will steer you toward the 8 1/2 rather than the 9 anyway.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 06-20-2013 at 06:48 AM.