The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: 8.5 or 9 ft for a 4wt?

I was a bit too hard on them above. The H2's are a major step forward over Helios which in turn was a big step forward for Orvis...and good looking too. I am optimistic about the H2 8 1/2'/#4 becuase in H1 it was the best of the lot so major re-working was not as important as in the models that lacked lower taper reserves.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I was a bit too hard on them above. The H2's are a major step forward over Helios which in turn was a big step forward for Orvis...and good looking too. I am optimistic about the H2 8 1/2'/#4 becuase in H1 it was the best of the lot so major re-working was not as important as in the models that lacked lower taper reserves.
Yes, I will be curious to compare the new 8 1/2 Helios 2 in a 4 weight against the equivalent Hardy Zenith that George Anderson liked so much.

I loved the 5 weight 8 1/2 H2, but in that same size I already have the 2-piece Winston WT that is one of the all-time classics, as well as a 4-piece Targus Gary Borger Light Touch that I picked up recently on closeout for about 1/6 the cost of the Orvis. (Forum member Silver Creek says Borger called it the best 5 weight he had ever cast when it was under development, and I can see why. But "Targus Gary Borger Light Touch" is a mouthful, and shortening it to "GBLT" might make it seem like, um, too much of a niche product, so maybe that has something to do with how it ended up in the remainder bin.)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM

keiths is on a distinguished road

I just picked up an Orvis Clearwater in 9' 4 wt. I love it. It casts well, is sensitive and helps me avoid cross-currents. Mending is also a breeze. My catch rate is up, with nothing else done differently.
imxer likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlb21 View Post
I have found a great deal on the 4wt that I have been watching for, only problem is that it is 9ft vs the one I had my eye on was 8.5. Will I notice much of a difference in the half foot, will it make the rod "less" fun in those small fish areas? Thanks
Yes. No. Maybe.

First, the 'scientific' response.

I got this stuff from a magazine article I read recently: longer rods allow you to mend more easily, cast longer, and cast more accurately over distance, as well as a bunch of stuff I didn't care about. However, they tend to be heavier, faster action, and more difficult to load with shorter finesse-type casts. These are generalities, as some rods may vary due to specific design.

Now, my personal, unscientific response.

Without getting into the particulars of why, I have two Winston Biiix 4 wt. rods, one 9 ft. and one 8.5 ft. The 9 ft. casts differently than the 8.5. When I say it casts differently, I mean with the same reel and line it simply has a different feel. The nine footer supposedly is exactly the same rod as the eight and a half down to weight, it's just 6 inches longer, but it just doesn't feel as 'right' when casting as the 8.5. This 'rightness' is, of course, entirely subjective, in direct correlation to the kind of fishing I do most often, my casting rhythm, etc.

However, having caught fish on both rods, I can tell you that I felt no discernible difference in the two rods in terms of playing said fishes. With either it was just ridiculously fun.

So, if part of the 'fun' for you is casting, then it might make a lot of difference. If you're just asking about the playing the fish part, then that six inches probably won't make a bit of difference.

Assuming you have cast/fish this rod before and you know you really like the shorter rod, my personal advice would be to hold out for the shorter rod (do as I say, not as I do). Especially if you're talking about dropping real money on the subject.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark