The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 PM

furrystrawberry is on a distinguished road
Default Which one piece 8 weight rod? The hardy proaxis or g loomis nrx

I live right by the beach at cheasapeake bay. Which one?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which one piece 8 weight rod? The hardy proaxis or g loomis nrx

Why not the hardy Zenith? It's the only one I've researched but I really like what I've heard.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Tough question requiring a side by side for sure. I own the Proaxis and NRX in 8-weight but the 4-pc. models. Both are powerhouses but with distinctly separate personalities. The NRX surely has a softer tip facilitating in close shots with feeling, useful sometimes flats fishing. The Hardy throws very tight loops and is less line-temperamental than the Loomis. My experience with trout size Zeniths is the one piece models are dramatically different from the 4-piece versions...they are in fact re-designs, but I have yet to cast a one piece NRX...it too has to be great. I have a 4-piece Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 which I really like but after casting the 8'10"/#4 one-piece, it is SO much superior!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have 8wt Zenith 4pcs and used to have the 7wt as well. They cast great even for a new caster like me. What I really like about the Zenith is the stiff but sensitive tip. I just can't imagine how much better the 1pc 8wt Zenith is in the hand of better and experience casters like you guys.
P.S. The 8wt Zenith doesn't like <20ft cast, you'd better roll cast for that distance or Bow/Arrow.

I use exclusively Shimano for spin and casting gears, but never like the Gloomis. I think they are just over priced.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM

furrystrawberry is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies, i saw a review of the proaxis 1 piece on yellowstone angler. It said it was the best rod ever built but they didnt have the chance to review the 1 piece nrx yet. Any reviews on the 1 piece nrx. Was wondering how it would stack up against the proaxis 1 piece.