The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need a cheap-o, short, 4wt setup--this any good?

It's a bargain of a combo. That said, there are other options if you shop around.

For instance, Cabelas Three Forks 8' 4pc 4wt + Wind River + Prestige line = ~$100.

LL Bean has a Quest 7.5' combo for $99 backed by their unconditional warranty.

But I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Crosswater for the price.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

If you already have a 5wt, I wouldn't pick up a 4wt. I'd jump down lower to a 3wt. The difference between a 5 and a 4 may not be much when maneuvering between manufactures.

Make a jump you will definitely notice, then fill in the little niches at a later date as you feel a need arises.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Look for a vintage Wright&McGill version instead.
Same rod, better quality, about the same price. Lots of 'em around
I have 2. The earlier is a 1963 model, this is the "newer" one.

Click the image to open in full size.
That is a beauty Rip, I think will do that. But I still like the Eagle Claw Yellow.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have two yellow featherweights and love em.
the vintage w&m is sweet too though.

ARFE
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

You know, I have also been thinking about the Featherweight simply because I read that people love them and they are nearly indestructible. Oh, and they are cheap.

Maybe that is the way to go. I can use my current reel with 5wt line on it if I buy this one:

Eagle Claw Featherlight 5/6 Line Weight Fly Rod, 2 Piece (Yellow, 7-Feet) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors Eagle Claw Featherlight 5/6 Line Weight Fly Rod, 2 Piece (Yellow, 7-Feet) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

But will 5wt line really work or will I need 6wt to load it properly? Actually, the guy who sits next to me at work has a cheap, beat-up reel that is actually loaded with cheap 6wt line that he is willing to sell me for $10.00.

I am now thinking this is the way I should go. I have a feeling that if I caught even a decent-sized bluegill that this noodle of a rod would make it feel like Moby Dick.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
You know, I have also been thinking about the Featherweight simply because I read that people love them and they are nearly indestructible. Oh, and they are cheap.

Maybe that is the way to go. I can use my current reel with 5wt line on it if I buy this one:

Eagle Claw Featherlight 5/6 Line Weight Fly Rod, 2 Piece (Yellow, 7-Feet) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

But will 5wt line really work or will I need 6wt to load it properly? Actually, the guy who sits next to me at work has a cheap, beat-up reel that is actually loaded with cheap 6wt line that he is willing to sell me for $10.00.

I am now thinking this is the way I should go. I have a feeling that if I caught even a decent-sized bluegill that this noodle of a rod would make it feel like Moby Dick.
Maybe the photo is wrong or it's just me, but that reel seat and cork looks like a spinning rod, not a fly rod.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Maybe the photo is wrong or it's just me, but that reel seat and cork looks like a spinning rod, not a fly rod.
Jaybo,

I think the picture is HORRIBLE but, if you look closely, I think it is both a spinning rod and a fly rod. I think the end of the handle unscrews... Maybe I am wrong. But the reviews seem to indicate it is a fly rod

I do see these at the Eagle Claw website. Looks like they make a baitcasting, fly, and spin/fly (to me): 7' Fly Rod | Eagle Claw
Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Jaybo,

I think the picture is HORRIBLE but, if you look closely, I think it is both a spinning rod and a fly rod. I think the end of the handle unscrews... Maybe I am wrong. But the reviews seem to indicate it is a fly rod

I do see these at the Eagle Claw website. Looks like they make a baitcasting, fly, and spin/fly (to me): 7' Fly Rod | Eagle Claw
If you are going to get one of these then find the fly rod model, not one on these "combos." There is an Eagle Claw glass fly rod only, and it's still just $22 or something.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

They sell them at W*lmart and have for years.... The 7' model anyway. Never seen the 6.5'
I bought one a few years ago for $9 (used it once, sold it for $15 )
Old 06-21-2013, 10:49 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

bus,

I just thought of this so I'll throw the offer out there to you. I have a 7ft 4/5 Browning fly rod that I bought years ago when I first started fishing and needed a smaller rod. I replaced the cork and reel seat on it from the plastic, its now got a nice wooden spacer, hardware and new cork on it. I have not fished it since. Best I recall it fished a little better with 5wt line than 4, but I'm a better caster than now than I was then.

It's a 2 piece rod, maybe has a sock but no case. It's all yours if you want it if we can somehow coordinate schedules. No charge.
dean_mt likes this.