The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Need a cheap-o, short, 4wt setup--this any good? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/322783-need-cheap-o-short-4wt-setup-any-good.html)

busbus 06-20-2013 02:07 PM

Need a cheap-o, short, 4wt setup--this any good?

I currently have only one fly rod and reel. :surprise:

I know, I know: What can I be thinking only having one set up? Well, I think I am going to go down the slippery slope here soon. The setup I have is a 9-foot, 5# rod and reel. I am happy with it but I find myself getting in trouble a lot if there are a bunch of obstacles around me. I have been practicing a lot on stillwater and I am finding that as long as you can get to the spot, you can usually cast a fly rod at least a little.

That said, I am finding the 9-foot rod is a pain in the neck more and more often. I want something that is a little less obstructive. I don't necessarily need to cast any distance and I am only catching trout and bluegill, for the most part. I am sure I may hook onto a bass at some point but I haven't yet.

I was looking at this setup in Amazon:
. It doesn't seem all that bad for <$100.

I do not need anything wonderful--just something that works. How is that rod? Has anybody any experience with a Reddington Crosswater?

thanks,
ray

bigjim5589 06-20-2013 02:32 PM

Re: Need a cheap-o, short, 4wt setup--this any good?

I've got a Crosswater 9 wt. Have not used it much yet, as I bought it as a back-up, but it seems like a decent rod for the price I paid, which was just under $100. Actually, I bought 2 of them. The second one was for one of my son's, but we never got out on the water with it.

fredaevans 06-20-2013 02:36 PM

Save for the colour, that's a heck of a deal 'sub-$100.00.'

busbus 06-20-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 565760)
Save for the colour, that's a heck of a deal 'sub-$100.00.'

Yeah, the color is, shall we say, a little on the bright side? But is it worse than one of those yellow Eagle Claws?

jimp 06-20-2013 02:47 PM

I've got a 8'6" 5wt " Crosswater , and like it so far. Easy to cast so I will assume the 4wt would be easy to cast as well, but no 1st hand experience with the 4wt. Good price and as you said, it doesn't have to be wonderful, just functional, which it should be.

yonder 06-20-2013 03:44 PM

busbus........it is indeed a slippery slope............so be wary......because those online businesses are full of those little 8 foot, 3 weights that will haunt you, deprive you of all sleep, and render you useless............welcome to the dark side.........:D

jaybo41 06-20-2013 04:26 PM

No experience with that rod bus, sorry I can't be of more help to you there.

Where I can add some advise to you from personal experience: Fly rigs CAN multiply! Once you go down the slippery slope, there may be no turning back.:icon_wink Please don't ask how many fly rods and reels I have.

dean_mt 06-20-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busbus (Post 565761)
Yeah, the color is, shall we say, a little on the bright side? But is it worse than one of those yellow Eagle Claws?

I have a soft spot for the Eagle Claw yellow. I may buy one of those new $20 glass fly rods just because!

Rip Tide 06-20-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 565802)
I have a soft spot for the Eagle Claw yellow. I may buy one of those new $20 glass fly rods just because!

Look for a vintage Wright&McGill version instead.
Same rod, better quality, about the same price. Lots of 'em around
I have 2. The earlier is a 1963 model, this is the "newer" one. :D

http://www.hikingnewengland.com/uplo..._39_552779.jpg

moucheur2003 06-20-2013 08:03 PM

I bought an 8 wt Crosswater as a spare that I liked so much I bought another. Now I leave one at my mother's place on Cape Cod and the other at my mother-in-law's place in Florida. But I only paid $50 for mine.

Haven't tried the 4 wt but I trust the brand. It won't be no-name junk.