The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 02:07 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Need a cheap-o, short, 4wt setup--this any good?

I currently have only one fly rod and reel.

I know, I know: What can I be thinking only having one set up? Well, I think I am going to go down the slippery slope here soon. The setup I have is a 9-foot, 5# rod and reel. I am happy with it but I find myself getting in trouble a lot if there are a bunch of obstacles around me. I have been practicing a lot on stillwater and I am finding that as long as you can get to the spot, you can usually cast a fly rod at least a little.

That said, I am finding the 9-foot rod is a pain in the neck more and more often. I want something that is a little less obstructive. I don't necessarily need to cast any distance and I am only catching trout and bluegill, for the most part. I am sure I may hook onto a bass at some point but I haven't yet.

I was looking at this setup in Amazon:
Redington Crosswater Outfit Reel, Line Weight-4, 7-Feet 6-Inch, Blue : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors Redington Crosswater Outfit Reel, Line Weight-4, 7-Feet 6-Inch, Blue : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
. It doesn't seem all that bad for <$100.

I do not need anything wonderful--just something that works. How is that rod? Has anybody any experience with a Reddington Crosswater?

thanks,
ray
Old 06-20-2013, 02:32 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need a cheap-o, short, 4wt setup--this any good?

I've got a Crosswater 9 wt. Have not used it much yet, as I bought it as a back-up, but it seems like a decent rod for the price I paid, which was just under $100. Actually, I bought 2 of them. The second one was for one of my son's, but we never got out on the water with it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Save for the colour, that's a heck of a deal 'sub-$100.00.'
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Save for the colour, that's a heck of a deal 'sub-$100.00.'
Yeah, the color is, shall we say, a little on the bright side? But is it worse than one of those yellow Eagle Claws?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:47 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I've got a 8'6" 5wt " Crosswater , and like it so far. Easy to cast so I will assume the 4wt would be easy to cast as well, but no 1st hand experience with the 4wt. Good price and as you said, it doesn't have to be wonderful, just functional, which it should be.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

busbus........it is indeed a slippery slope............so be wary......because those online businesses are full of those little 8 foot, 3 weights that will haunt you, deprive you of all sleep, and render you useless............welcome to the dark side.........

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

No experience with that rod bus, sorry I can't be of more help to you there.

Where I can add some advise to you from personal experience: Fly rigs CAN multiply! Once you go down the slippery slope, there may be no turning back. Please don't ask how many fly rods and reels I have.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Yeah, the color is, shall we say, a little on the bright side? But is it worse than one of those yellow Eagle Claws?
I have a soft spot for the Eagle Claw yellow. I may buy one of those new $20 glass fly rods just because!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I have a soft spot for the Eagle Claw yellow. I may buy one of those new $20 glass fly rods just because!
Look for a vintage Wright&McGill version instead.
Same rod, better quality, about the same price. Lots of 'em around
I have 2. The earlier is a 1963 model, this is the "newer" one.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I bought an 8 wt Crosswater as a spare that I liked so much I bought another. Now I leave one at my mother's place on Cape Cod and the other at my mother-in-law's place in Florida. But I only paid $50 for mine.

Haven't tried the 4 wt but I trust the brand. It won't be no-name junk.