The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass rods...I don't get it

FG was the transition material from Boo (usually cheap thing out of Japan) or a really pricie (even more so today) custom to Graf. Rod action? Pretty much the same as Boo.

Via Steve Godshall (of hand made spey line fame) got an 11 foot switch built out. I've got 2handers coming 'out my ears' but if fishing conditions allow, that Puppy is on the Jeep's rod rack. Fishing with same is like stepping back 50 years?

You can stand knee deep in the Rogue (with one of his lines loaded on same) and close your eyes. You'd have to force yourself to blow a cast. You can feel that rod in your finger tips.......

Magic.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

I don’t think there is any doubt that we have been on 'a journey' - and I think we have gone too far with stiff rods and ‘fast’ actions. I’m certainly on the rebound and enjoying softer rods now – like I used to. (My beloved Hardy Jet Glass - happy days - made in the USA BTW!)

I wrote this review a while back and I meant it! “Have we forgotten how lovely fly casting can be?”

Review: Burkheimer 13ft. A reminder of the gentle art

Colin

PS. I dont want to go back to glass or cane - I want modern materials to be LIKE glass or cane but lighter and better!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Fiberglass is not everyone's cup of tea. It's just a personal preference just like anything else in life. Glass, boo, and graphite all have their own time and place. I prefer to fish glass 90% of the time because I feel more in control of the line and fly. The rod loads up effortlessly and is able to make very accurate casts. My little Scott F2 6'6" 3wt will load up and make a nice loop with just the leader out of the tip. That is a game changer on small brush choked streams. That's not to say that graphite cant, I just prefer glass. Just like graphite, there are several different types of glass, each with their own unique action. E-glass (I think diamondback is E-glass) is the slower of the two. S-glass is quite a bit quicker. Steffen is arguably one of the greatest modern glass builders, he uses S-glass. One thing that I love about fiberglass is the "fish on" feel. It bends deep while still having the backbone to muscle a fish in. To me, graphite doesn't have the "feel" that glass does. Some of the things that modern fiberglass makers such as Steffen, Kabuto, McFarland, James Green, Scott, Epic, CTS, etc. are doing with glass is absolutely amazing.

Just my 2c, take them for what they are worth.

The fiberglassflyrodders forum has a wealth of knowledge on all things glass.

-Chase
attila and troutnut4 like this.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Either one "gets it"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQQ4LywnYQ

or, one does not...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-21-2013, 05:51 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

One day I will own an original Stalker....one day.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:01 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

My youngest...Ally, on the Madison with "our" Winston 7 1/2', #3-#4, SF made "Stalker"...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB
yonder likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Cast that glass you are trying to off load and really listen/ feel what it is telling you. Many people, me included, say Glass and Bamboo rods have a personality that not everybody can feel. Once you let the glass lead the cast and learn to actually cast the rod pick up your plastic rod and you will notice it is easier to cast. And yes, I have proved it many times with plastic casters in a casting slump.

Now, I am talking about new Glass technology, not "Grandpa's Glass". Vast difference in sensitivity and casting in today's blanks compared to older glass.

Ever wonder why many rod maunfacturers are touting their "New Moderate Action" rods? Maybe because high modulus fast action rods have lost some of their charm? Sometimes you can out technology a product. Just a thought.

Glass isn't the end all to all fishing situations, but it sure is smooth in the right situation. I guess that's why we still build grass, glass and plastic rods....... because one size does not fit all users

JMHO,
Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i too like glass because of the unique feel not found in graphite sticks.
my newly acquired cgr has become one of my favs to fish lately.

Click the image to open in full size.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I think the difference is found in whether one is fishing or casting. If all I'm out to do is cast as far as I can, I'll lean toward graphite or graphite/boron. They are lighter, faster, and when my timing is perfect, I can throw a longer line with them. But, the timing has to be right. With glass or slower graphite, I feel like I'm fishing because the rod keeps me in touch with what I'm doing and provides the ability to do things with my cast to reach otherwise unreachable fish that I'd like to catch.

For me, when a fish shows me its location, that becomes a challenge to catch it whether it is 6" or 60" long. When I finish a day on the water, I either caught enough to be satisfied or to be desirous of going back out the next day. The tool I take with me will determine whether that day is one of fishing or casting. I like fishing the best.

Last edited by glcaddis; 06-22-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:35 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

I guess I should try diff lines/leaders before I write it off. It is S2 glass,whatever that means.