The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 01:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass rods...I don't get it

I used 2 rods today that I had never tried out before

The first was a Heddon Vicount 8', 7wt. It was "usable" but no one would ever mistake this as a great rod.
Cast easily to about 50' with a bit of tip wobble. With a couple of more guides it would be far more enjoyable.

The second was a Phillipson Royal Wand 7', 6wt. Wow !
Certainly not a distance rod, but sooooo smoooth. A pleasure to cast.
Anyone that doesn't "get it" would when using this rod.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

I guess I was asking "what's the advantage in real world fishing situations"?
Or is it about nostalgia,more challenge or what ?I'm not knocking glass just wondering if it's like traditional archery. I'm still messing with the Cortland Glass and an Orvis fullflex. If it's only about slowing down and feel,I think graphite can do that too.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

advantages many glass throwers feel they get:

accuracy
delicate presentation
superior feel
leisurely casting stroke
aesthetic superiority
other?

Either you buy in or you don't. There have been over 20 responses. If it isn't answered now, it isn't likely to get answered.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i too like glass because of the unique feel not found in graphite sticks.
my newly acquired cgr has become one of my favs to fish lately.

Click the image to open in full size.

casey
I have the 3/4 6'6" and the 7/8 in that, but remember, those are not 100% glass. I LOVE the feel of the mix. I also have the Hardy Test and a WW Griggs Vintage.
I do have the E Glass in the Lami and the McFarland. I also have a netcraft and a T.L. Johnson that are also a mix.
And I have the Far and Fine and the Superfine. Those are a different feel altogether. Plus Bamboo which is different yet.
I do feel slow action rods are less forgiving and do teach you to cast more to the point. Once you master slow action, fast action is a piece of cake, but it doesn't work the other way around.
caseywise, theboz and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I guess I was asking "what's the advantage in real world fishing situations"?
Or is it about nostalgia,more challenge or what ?I'm not knocking glass just wondering if it's like traditional archery. I'm still messing with the Cortland Glass and an Orvis fullflex. If it's only about slowing down and feel,I think graphite can do that too.
There are many reasons people fish with glass, I suppose. Here's mine:

Click the image to open in full size.

I guess you'd call it nostalgia. This pic was in a 1977 issue of the old newsprint "Orvis News" and was taken just a few months after I finished building the rod. I've been fishing with that Orvis glass rod for nearly 4 decades now. It was an excellent bass rod back then, and it still is. It's a 9 weight, and I just put a new Teeny line on it and it does a great job of throwing large bass bugs.

It is a rather slow action. I took it out to a local pond a few days ago, and I'd previously been fishing a graphite rod for my last few outings. I'd forgotten just how slow the glass action was, but it came back to me. Make the backcast, check my watch, pull out my phone and check the stock market, text my broker, count to 12, then make the forward cast.

I've caught many fish on it over the years and I'm quite accustomed to its action. That rod is very personal to me, and I'm sure I'll always enjoy using it.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I do feel slow action rods are less forgiving and do teach you to cast more to the point. Once you master slow action, fast action is a piece of cake, but it doesn't work the other way around.
That's why I get a chuckle about 'fast rods' being so technical. I think it's the other way around.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Some glass sticks just are to good to ignore! A few that come to mind are the big Fenwicks, Phillipsons, Lamis in any size and the old Wonder Rods.
Also when fishing real deep in saltwater with sinking lines or lead core heads for hard pulling bottom fish I don't think there is a better material than glass to bring those beasts and heavy line up from the bottom! These are the times when an overresponsive rod or to stiff just won't cut the mustard!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

A shorter rod with a slower motion is easier to cast around obstacles in the wind, imho.

I think glass accomplishes that nicely.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I have my grandpa's fiberglass fly rod in on display in my bar...it is sixty or so years old. I am wondering if I should take it with me to Wyoming in a few weeks and catch a few fish on it? I haven't fished with it in thirty years. It is the rod I learned to fly fish on.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Wonder-Rod! Still love the meaning and what it brought into my life, have a half dozen or so of them. I don't ever fish them.

If I want nostalgia I may pick one up. The real pleasure is when I look at one and the memories come flowing in.

There are so many rods and our abilities as casters is so poor. Its a feel thing, its a pleasure thing, its a whatever the heck you want to do thing...We aint getting rich or benefiting ourselves financially by using glass...its all for fun. For pure pleasure of one sort or another.

Glass is Glass, Graphite is Graphite and so on.

Do I drive a 3/4 ton full size truck or the car today? Do I drink my beer out of a cold mug or one out of the cabinet. Do I use a shovel or a mini-excavator. These fiberglass tools are chosen out of pleasure not for a bigger better faster approach.