The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM

attila will become famous soon enough
Default Glass rods...I don't get it

I started with a fiberglass fly rod. But when I got my first graphite I was impressed and my casting improved a lot. Also seemed more sensitive. Fast forward about 30 years and I see a resurgence in glass rods. So I buy a new Cortland Diamondback Glass rod on eBay. I fished it a bunch and yes it's fun. But I don't get it...what's the point ? My graphite rods will do everything glass can and more. If I want a slow rod I grab one of my SuperFines. What does glass have that graphite can't match ?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Glass rods...I don't get it

It's kinda like the bamboo thing. They just slow things down a bit but admittedly aren't for everyone. I have an old Orvis Full Flex that is just fun to use now and then. It's like being able to keep a 1956 Ford F-100 in the garage. The truck isn't really better than a new Silverado but it's fun to ride in now and then.

I don't have the 56' but my step son does, sometimes he comes and takes me for a ride. It reminds me of my 55' Studebaker truck.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2013, 08:01 PM

True but many seem to be driving that old all the time. I was just wondering if I missed what niche glass filled.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of old glass rod that are better than the modern alternatives
Specifically my 6.5' W&M Feather Light will load with only inches of line outside of the tip-top making for tight short range casts.
My 1972 Lamiglas 4wt is just about the slowest dry fly rod you could imagine. Many people couldn't comprehended why that would be an advantage, but the relaxed casting that is "imposed" on you makes you remember why fly casting is fun.
My Orvis Golden Eagle 8wt with throw the biggest hairy bass bugs like a rocket launcher. !

I bought myself 4 "new" vintage glass rods the other day. $100 for the lot.
How much fun do you think that's going to be ? Four new rods to play with and for only $100...... plus I can sell them at a profit when I'm done.
This is not too hard to understand.
Hardyreels and attila like this.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The use of glass rods has a lot to do with where you fish too I think. If some folks are using them all the time then the rods are probably well suited to the fishing. When I lived in Pennsylvania's north central mountains I used my little bamboo flea rod about 50 days a year, some years more because I liked small tree & brush lined streams. When I went on larger creeks I used either a 7'9" Far & Fine, a 9' PM-10 five weight, or my 8' bamboo #6 rod.

For the little streams here I have the Full Flex, the Flea, and a 6'3" graphite. Each rod has its place.
yonder likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Each rod and each caster is different. I love some glass rods and despise others. Much like I love some graphite rods and despise others.

Glass is just another option...and I'd rather have more than fewer of those.
attila likes this.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I started into the fly fishing hobby with a TFO graphite rod, and a Lamson reel. For some reason I usually end up fly fishing a glass rod at least 75% of the time. For me fly fishing with a glass rod does not have to do much with nostalgia. I admit that I do fish vintage fishing reels often out of the premise of nostalgia, but don't think I have ever argued the point they are better at anything, other than being cooler.

In other methods of fishing, unless I'm Bait / Cat fishing. I really do not enjoy fishing with vintage technology rods. I prefer modern graphite when using baitcasters, spinning gear, float rods / ect. For some reason when it comes to fly fishing, glass keeps drawing me in.

For me it often just feels right. For what I do with a fly rod, I enjoy the characteristics glass can offer. Admittedly, when fly fishing In my local area I'm most often a sight fisher targeting carp, even though I pull in bass and panfish at a rate of 30/40-1 . So this may play into my preferences as sensitivity is not much of a concern for me.

I find glass much more relaxed, slower paced, Easier to provide a dead silent presentation with smaller offerings, also fighting fish is more forgiving. I can fish tight bushy areas from shore without worry of damage. Admittedly, glass also does have noticeable drawbacks, its heavier, less sensitive, and feels more noodle like.

There are pro's and con's to any method. I have no problems fishing either, and enjoy both. Glass is not going to be for everyone, but I believe it does have its own set of merits that pertain to circumstances, and should not be overlooked as a viable alternative.

Fly fishing often becomes a thinking mans game, I think were all often guilty of over-thinking things that should not require much thought.
fredaevans and troutnut4 like this.

Last edited by charged; 06-20-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 PM

I guess I see the attraction to be different but I'll stick with graphite. Anyone interested in a new,hardly used glass rod ?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I started fly fishing with my Dad's old Phillipson Swamp Fox fly rod. Once I finally figured out how to cast it, it cast like a dream. Slow, deliberate motions produced silky smooth casts. You could feel every inch of that rod even with 6wt line. Because you could feel every inch of the rod, it was much shorter. 7'6" with 6wt line. Perfect for restricted back casts into the wind, which was a situation I faced a lot in the driftless region of Minnesota.

So there's your niche, I guess. I love that rod. I got a new Cabela's glass rod and, while it casts fine, it's not nearly as smooth. Get some old Phillipson glass before you write off glass completely.
Rip Tide and attila like this.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
I started fly fishing with my Dad's old Phillipson Swamp Fox fly rod. Once I finally figured out how to cast it, it cast like a dream. Slow, deliberate motions produced silky smooth casts. You could feel every inch of that rod even with 6wt line. Because you could feel every inch of the rod, it was much shorter. 7'6" with 6wt line. Perfect for restricted back casts into the wind, which was a situation I faced a lot in the driftless region of Minnesota.

So there's your niche, I guess. I love that rod. I got a new Cabela's glass rod and, while it casts fine, it's not nearly as smooth. Get some old Phillipson glass before you write off glass completely.
That's an excellent rod. One of the best glass rods ever.
I'm a big Phillipson fan myself and your post reminded me that I bought a 7', 6wt. Royal Wand that I haven't even tried out yet.
Gonna have to do that tomorrow !