The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM

quckslayer13 is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly fishing

So, I'm new to fly fishing I have an old browning rod and south bend reel from the 80's. I've used it a little bit but its just not working for me. Amy suggestions on a good, solid, not over priced setup to start with?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to fly fishing

First of all welcome! What is your budget? What do you fish for? Do you know what rod weight you want? Knowing that will help people steer you in the right direction.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Budget really isn't a big deal but I don't want to spend more them $200 or $150 if I can help it. I will be fishing for bass and trout mostly. And I don't know what kind if weight I would need.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Is it the feel of the rod or frustrations with learning how to cast? What weight is your current rig?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-21-2013, 12:54 PM

I know how to cast. I'm not too bad if I may say so myself. I'm just looking for something more updated and new. The rod says 3.3 oz.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

I think if I was going to buy one rig (universally). Id go with a 6w... It would be a lot more fun on the bass end of things.

As for brand, many others here keep current with suggestions for that.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The weight question isn't how much the rod weighs but what line it is rated to cast, something like 4wt or 6wt, etc. For bass and trout you probably are looking at a 5wt or 6wt unless the bass are particularly large or the flies you'll throw are huge. What part of the country/world do you fish in?

For 150 - 200 you should have options. Check out Albright fly fishing. I have two of their topwater rods that I got cheap a couple years ago, they are good fishing rods. They don't carry that line now but a lot of people like fish their rods. They have one 9' 5wt 5 piece combo for under 200. Fly shop closeouts also has a number of combos worth looking at. I'm sure others will weigh in.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:06 PM

I've looked before but I haven't found the weight on it. 5wt will probably be fine. I was really looking for brands but I need all the help I can get!!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Here's what to do (because when you buy one...your trapped). If you plan on more bass fishing in the summer months to come - grab a nice bass rig so you can toss the bigger flies.

After that (and when your addiction sets in...) Grab a trout rig

I have 3 rigs (not nearly as as bad as most here) and in time it will double and possibly triple...

I had a few year lapse of flyfishing but recently caught a nice bass on a streamer that I tied a few years ago so its all over and the fever is back for good.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Ok. Thanks. Any brands in particular?