The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM

jho20002000 is on a distinguished road
Default redington rod help, ?

Hi, 1st off i would like to introduce myself... my name is Johnny and im new to fly fishing, never fly fished before but very interested in doing so, im looking at a Redington Red-Fly Rod, its a CTRF2-9064....its a 9ft rod 6wt, i want to use it to fly fish on the truckee river in Nevada and local Rivers in Ca. its selling for $105.00 shipped and retail before tax is $180.00

This will be my 1st fly rod and want to know if its a good one for the money!

Any input would be helpful and thx. in advance!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: redington rod help, ?

Welcome to the forum, and to the sport! If you are fishing for trout in the Truckee, a 9 foot, 5 or 6 weight rod is about the right size. Since you're just starting out, look a rod with a medium or medium-fast action -- it will be easier to get the hang of casting than a very fast (i. e., stiff) rod. I don't have any experience with the Red-fly, and it is a discontinued model, but I think it was designed as a beginner's rod, and if so, it should serve you well. Usually you can google the model and size of a rod you're interested in and find something somewhere on the internet to tell you what kind of action it has.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM

it says fast action, im not even sure what fast, med, med-fast even means....should i not get a fast action rod? does that mean its harder to cast? thx for your help !
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Generally, a "fast" rod is stiffer and therefore requires more precise timing in order to execute a good cast. A "slower" rod is more flexible and therefore a bit easier for a beginner who is learning to cast, because it is easier to feel the rod bending and to know when to begin your forward stroke. ("Fast" and "slow" refer to how long it takes the weight of your line to load the rod during your backcast before it is ready to launch a forward cast. A more flexible rod will take longer because it bends deeper.) However, there is also some marketing hype that goes into manufacturers' descriptions of their rods (believe it or not), so what a manufacturer describes as "fast" may not really be all that hard to use.

I don't really know how a Red-fly compares to other available models or how easy it is to cast.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:55 PM

Thx. Very much for that info........now I know I should get a medium action rod, I think I will enjoy fly fishing, the more I ead about it the more I'm loving it!!! Thx again!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho20002000 View Post
Hi, 1st off i would like to introduce myself... my name is Johnny and im new to fly fishing, never fly fished before but very interested in doing so, im looking at a Redington Red-Fly Rod, its a CTRF2-9064....its a 9ft rod 6wt, i want to use it to fly fish on the truckee river in Nevada and local Rivers in Ca. its selling for $105.00 shipped and retail before tax is $180.00
I prefer a five weight for a good general purpose rod, but a six weight is great insurance for some of those Homie sized fish in the Truckee or if you need to throw some heavy payloads.

Quote:
This will be my 1st fly rod and want to know if its a good one for the money!
It is not a bad choice. If you are worried about the rod action, you can always slow it down by using a seven weight line instead of the six.

Quote:
Any input would be helpful and thx. in advance!!!
You are welcome.

Dennis