The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: No trying to be a wise guy

I don't make very much money but I use a lot of very expensive high end equipment.

I don't care if I can catch more fish, or better fish than another person. Unless I am in a tournament.

I consider myself quite handy with the abilities needed to succeed well with a fly rod.

Am I bad because I choose to use this type of gear?

We need less competition between classes and more competition between friends. It's all in how you perceive life.

I hope that you use what you like and buy what you want when you can or like me when it becomes the top of your priority list.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

I stopped in the Yellow Breeches Outfitters yesterday and saw a beautiful Hardy rod for $895- After drooling on that for 2 minutes, I quickly got it back together and exited left before I got myself in trouble

I enjoy using my crappy-pappy equipment.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I have this 4 foot rod that my pap made with a Mitchell Garcia 204. In the past, I've taken 'er out for a day of trout fishing... The younger guys and kids point and laugh but the older fellas stop to admire it (minus the electrical tape)
Can't beat an awesome Free rod!

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Okay, now you have to tell us what they are!
Home-rolled Pac-Bay Rainforest, 9', 8wt. ----$60
Sportsman's Guide IM-6, 10', 8wt-----$25 (which I've since rebuilt, so add $15 )
c.1959 Phillipson Eponite "Royal", 8', 6wt----- $30 (used)
Diawa/Locmor 8', 4wt-----$50
Wright & McGill "Feather Light" 6.5', 4wt------$5 (used)

(I guess that's $170 not $160.... still )
moucheur2003 and yonder like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Finesse maybe skill definitely! But many great flyfisherman were once great gear fisherman. Expensive equipment doesn't make a great fishermen , great ones cam do it with whatever. And in most situations a great flyman can out fish whatever else is out there.
Started Flyfishing with a $12 rod and reel and like Rip
Have had and still have many sub $100 rigs. Use them regularly as well as dome of my new more state of the art equipment. I do just as well with either setup. Point is if your good your good and equipment don't make the man the man makes the man!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-23-2013, 01:44 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Who cares how much a guy spends? Its all about having fun. We don't need the cell phones that do everything but call people. Don't need cruise control, power steering, or A/C but we get it. Don't need color TV when black & white will do, but we buy em. See where I am going? We don't need a lot of stuff but we buy it because we want it. Same with fishing gear.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Who cares how much a guy spends? Its all about having fun. We don't need the cell phones that do everything but call people. Don't need cruise control, power steering, or A/C but we get it. Don't need color TV when black & white will do, but we buy em. See where I am going? We don't need a lot of stuff but we buy it because we want it. Same with fishing gear.
Especially with fishing gear!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:25 PM

herocast is on a distinguished road

I agree with cochise and petee, I don't think quality of fishing gear is even a factor. And I definitely don't think it has any correlation with social status/standing. There are plenty of fly bums out there with nice expensive gear even though their income isn't that high. It all depends on where you put your money. A good fisherman is a good fisherman.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM

tledoux is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your replies. I am not very good at monitoring my thoughts and sometimes come off rude or condescending. Like I said I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am retired and spend Way to much time on this computer, Looking up things, when I should be out fishing :-) After reading all your comments I realized I was wrong for the most part. My Daughter use to be a Model So she was use to having top of the line things. She went to Orvis shop and took some Fly fishing classes, She has always been a Country Girl at heart and some what of a tom Boy :-) But she let them rig her up and ended up buying $5000 in gear you could have carried home in one hand. So my point was although you can spend thousands on Any sport. It's not how much you spend, it's how well can you use what you buy. And because of my lack of knowledge, When someone mentioned Fly Fishing my first thoughts where a bunch of Rich Doctors or Lawyers in some Lavish Lodge in the mountains of Colorado lol. Have a Great day