The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 PM

tledoux is on a distinguished road
Default No trying to be a wise guy

I am from Louisiana and my Dad was one of the best fisherman I knew, He could catch fish when no one else could So I grew up fishing. We didn't have a lot of money so or rods and reels weren't top of the line, But we could catch just as many if not more than men with expensive rigs. With that said, I know Fly fishing is a finesse type of fishing and I have looked at enough videos to know If you have the money You can spend Hundreds on just a rod. Making Fly fishing perceived to be a rich mans sport. But if he where still alive I would put my dad up against anyone with there high dollar set ups. My point being, You don't have to spend a ton of money, all you need is the love for fishing. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Happy fishing Y'all
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 AM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: No trying to be a wise guy

I don't understand the comparison of fly fishing being for a rich man. Think about it. Even if you spend 800 bux on a rod, reel, line etc... The fly fishing sport is still cheaper than using spinning gear with lures or live bait especially when you tie your own flies.

Of course when you have to re-load with new fly line, there is a generous expense involed or one may want multiple rods for different scenerios BUT next time you pass a Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, WalMart etc... Stop in and you will of course see cheap spinning rods that are way cheaper than a decent fly rod. Skip the rods and take a look at the lures. At 6-9 dollars a piece, I've basically forgot about my spinning gear.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-23-2013, 12:02 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

You are right you can spend a lot but you don't have too. Many on here fish with inexpensive gear and do very well. Of course you'd need a lot of fly rods to get to the price of a fancy bass boat, so fly fishing isn't the only way to drop a ton of cash to catch fish. I'm glad your dad taught you well. I've enjoyed fishing with my dad in recent years but I've been the one teaching. Outfitted him with a $50 reel and a rod I made from a $40 graphite blank. Doesn't need to cost a ton to be meaningful or effective.
mcnerney, yonder, siege and 1 others like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

I have to agree that you don't have to spend a lot on this sport to be successful or happy. Some fall victim to manufacturer's BS that you need the latest and greatest rod / reel (which just happens to be their latest product) to be a better FF. If you follow that belief you will certainly be attracted to their top line gear, which these days just happens to carry a hefty price tag. This is common not only in fishing, but in many other sports. I am a confessed "gear junky" and enjoy some of this high end gear but I don't need it to catch fish.
bigjim5589, mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Right now I'm catching more trout on a 65 dollar Redington CT than any other rod I own. Currently, most of the high end rods are listed as super dooper magic sticks with fact actions that can cast as far as a varmint rifle will shoot. That's just a spin off from fast action bass pro casting rods.
Hardly what a real trout fisherman needs or wants.

Mike
imxer, mcnerney, yonder and 1 others like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Golf and skiing can soak up any excess liquidity right quick too.

But noting that high-end spinning tackle can set you back as much as fly tackle doesn't exactly mean that fly fishing is a low-budget proposition. You can also spend a happy day fishing in a local pond with a $20 spinning outfit and some worms dug up free from the garden.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:10 AM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

I'd take that bet. I've been fly fishing since I was 8 yrs old. I've never spent money on a guide or a fancy lodge trip. Growing up I never fished with a set up worth more than maybe $100 tops. I agree that money has nothing what so ever to do with fishing enjoyment or success. But experience and skill do. Becoming a good fly fisherman requires years of application of the skill set needed, not just a recognition of the fact that what you spend on equipment is meaningless.
imxer likes this.

Last edited by rmorrison; 06-23-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

One day, back in 1973, I caught 84 Trout here...

Click the image to open in full size.

...on these...

...and then I read these:

and this:

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful and I hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. "

By Robert Traver

I have never looked back

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have over 2 dozen fly rods and out of those there's only 2 that I paid more than $100 for.
The "favorite 5 ", the 5 rods that I use most often cost a total of $160
Been "fly rod only" since 1968
williamhj, theboz and yonder like this.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The "favorite 5 ". The 5 that I use most often cost a total of $160
Okay, now you have to tell us what they are!
enolaeagle likes this.