The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Glass Rods ?

I haven't fished one since I was 8 years old, I have been curious about the Scott 6' 2wt. and the Hardy 6'6" 3wt "Brook". I guess I'm ready to try a short rod for small stream fishing, anybody have any experience with these two rods, I know the Scott is wicked expensive.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Glass Rods ?

I recently bought my first glass rod. Check out the fiberglassflyrodders.com and thefiberglassmanifesto for a wealth of info. Several kind souls on this site pointed me to these sites. Good luck!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Check out the fiberglassflyrodders forum and thefiberglassmanifesto blog that Cletus mentioned for everything to do with glass. Anyways, back to the question at hand. I do have experience with both rods you mentioned. First off, this is not your grandpas slow, heavy, glass. I think you are talking about the Scott F2 6' 2wt (orange-ish blank), not the previous F series (blank blank)? I found the Hardy 7' 3wt "Brook" to have a very soft tip, and almost "noodley" action most suited to small dries and short casts. Not to say that it cant do light nymph work, but there are much better options out there in my opinion. The Scott F2 6' 2wt on the other hand is quicker with a more progressive taper. It also has a relatively soft tip, but not as soft as the Hardy Brook. It will cast medium size dries and light nymph rigs with absolutely deadly precision. It can cast a nice loop with less than a foot of line out of the tip. This is a game changer on small, brush-choked streams. The Scott F2 6'6" 3wt is my favorite small stream rod. I chose to keep the 6'6" 3wt F2 over its little brother because I found it to be a little more versatile in what it can cast. Another glass maker to check out would be Steffen. He makes some of the best modern glass on the market right now. Steffen has a HUGE selection of rod lengths and weights to choose from and his price is hard to beat. Last time I checked they ran around $400 with a 2-3 month wait time. There are lots of modern makers to check out in addition to Steffen including, but not limited to, Kabuto, McFarland, Epic, James Green, and Larry Kenney.

In my opinion, glass is the ultimate material for a short small stream rod. Glass is not dead.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM or post here.

-Chase
fredaevans and bear 007 like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
. First off, this is not your grandpas slow, heavy, glass.
I don't know why people think that all vintage glass rods were slow and heavy.
That's just not true.
There was a variety of rods actions just as there are in modern rods and some vintage glass rods were surprisingly light weight
The Phillipson Royal Wand that I fished Saturday weighs less than 3oz.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Seconding Rip Tide.

My Phillipson Swamp Fox is 5/6-wt and only 2.75 oz.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I'm getting the itch to try some older "vintage" glass rods as well. Rip has given me some good info so far, thanks!

I am simply in research mode and have been checking the auctions to a sense of price.

One thing I've noticed is that most every rod I've looked at has a butt-over-tip ferrule. Was this the standard or is it only in the cheaper, read low quality, rods? Some have metal ferrules but not all, I assume if going with a butt-over-tip that metal ferrules would be preferred.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Very few have the butt over tip. There's the Eagle Claw and maybe one other which I can't place right now.
Stay away from those. It's like mismatching a 3wt tip to a 6wt butt
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the info guys, this is going to be a winter project so I'm not in any hurries, I'm just getting some ideas and a place to start.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I didn't mean to stir up the pot by calling vintage glass "slow and heavy"...sorry about that. There are several vintage rods that are neither slow or heavy and are quite pleasing to fish.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Glass Rods ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
I didn't mean to stir up the pot by calling vintage glass "slow and heavy"...sorry about that. There are several vintage rods that are neither slow or heavy and are quite pleasing to fish.
Not to worry, the "Mob" is not collecting and lighting off the torches. Well, a good deal of Lighting does tend to get them worked up ...