The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Anyone own the Circa

Surprisingly I am having a hard time finding reviews (real users, not fly shops and sage) on the 389-4 Circa.

Today is my 40th birthday so needless to say my wife is green lighting a completely frivolous purchase of my choosing. I am noodling over the idea of a 389-4 Circa. My pain point is my 3WT quiver is stacked.

376-4 ZXL love mine for dries but wouldn't mind the extra rod length of the Circa for mending. Would keep the ZXL for real small stream stuff.

1710-4 TXLF , still a virgin since I got it as a Christmas present, super small stream super small dry fly rod.

3710-3 TXL use it for dries on windy days

4710-3 TXL use it for hoppers and real windy days on small streams

390-4 Sage One.....it's a cannon, big water dry fly fishing.

As it is the ZXL and TXL-F are going to be relegating the TXL's to minimal usage. Anyone have first hand on the water experience with the Circa and how would you fit it in to the above arsenal. The other silly thought I had was replacing my 3wt TXL with the new TXL-F but that seems even more frivolous.

As stated by me a lot in the past 99.9% of my fishing is smallish stream stuff and the occasional mid size river where my 3wt ONE and 4WT Z-axis have me covered.

PS yes Sage marketing loves me

Last edited by comeonavs; 06-26-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone own the Circa

I might not be much help to you here, but I have fished a friends 389 Circa for a day. It was similar to the 389 LL, but I did like the LL better. For about the same money (or less?) you should add the 389 LL to the list. It is quite amazing what Sage is doing with the Konetic technology. Incredibly light, accurate, and responsive rods.

Happy birthday!

-Chase
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Birthday Avs! Good to see you posting again. It's all down hill from here. Welcome to the geezer crowd! Seriously though, I hope you enjoy your day and maybe find yourself on the water very soon.

No help with the 389 Circa, but I think we both know what your inquiry means. You'll be posting a review of it in the not so distant future! I expect to see one. Of course you'll need a new reel and line to go with it

The 389 LL's are absolutely wonderful rods. While I don't own one, I have cast them and fished with them for a bit. You can't go wrong there provided that you don't mind 2 piece rods. I've seen the 4's go for some pretty steep coin.

Another vintage option to consider is a 389 SLT. I found one this year and absolutely love it for small streams. I didn't get a ton of time with it due to weather conditions but it handled 2 small nymphs very well. I'd imagine it will do just fine with dries.

Let us know what you end up doing good luck and have fun on your hunt.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:40 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Thanks you guys for the advice and birthday wishes. Jaybo you are right usually a question by me shortly proceeds me posting photos of the new rod.

I haven't been posting in a while, I got that promotion at work and my travel has been outrageous. Been living in airports and conference rooms 5 of the last 6 weeks. My wifeis finishing her second to last semester of grad school so she is buried. Her being buried means I work 60hrs a week and the play Mr Mom.

Sunday is going to be all about me and some native Brookies having a good time together.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

I have been fishing the 489-4 circa and love it! The 389-4 is next on my list for small streams in AZ. It is not as slow as I anticipated and punches in the wind damn well. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the 389.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I can't comment directly on the 389 but I have a 479 that I really like. Feels very light in hand and generates some nice line speed; more punch than you would expect if you just wiggle it in a shop, also has excellent tracking. Fun rod to fish.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Thanks you guys for the advice and birthday wishes. Jaybo you are right usually a question by me shortly proceeds me posting photos of the new rod.

I haven't been posting in a while, I got that promotion at work and my travel has been outrageous. Been living in airports and conference rooms 5 of the last 6 weeks. My wifeis finishing her second to last semester of grad school so she is buried. Her being buried means I work 60hrs a week and the play Mr Mom.

Sunday is going to be all about me and some native Brookies having a good time together.
We're about the same age Avs, so I can appreciate the reference to Mr. Mom Hopefully you find time to get out on the water, sure sounds like you're very deserving of it.

So did ya get it yet?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
We're about the same age Avs, so I can appreciate the reference to Mr. Mom Hopefully you find time to get out on the water, sure sounds like you're very deserving of it.

So did ya get it yet?
Not yet..... Really deciding on how bad I want it , considering it is $800. I do beleive I will take a few of my reels to the shop soon a take it for a test drive. I have the Nautilus strung up wit RIO Good WF3 , old Sage Click 3200 and Ross Rhythm both strung with SA Mastery textured trout stalker in WF. I'll see if any of those combos make me say oh yeah I have to have this.

Last thing I want to do right now is buy a 4th reel for 3WT's. I do think the Abel Creek or Trout series would look quite nice on it
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:39 PM

So I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on got the 389-4. I might end up regretting getting the 3wt but if I do, I will just get the 4wt for a more versatile rod

I have to say it will take some serious getting used to. After only casting fast rods like the Z-axis, ONE, TXL , ZXL for the last few years. It is very different realizing that slow doesn't mean pussy footing around. I can see where I am going to love this rod but it will be very much a "specialty" rod.

However the guy who helped me at the shop and I trust him, he said if I go and am afraid the wind will pick up bring a reel with 4wt line and throw it on. He said surprisingly for a light, slow rod it can handle being over lined by one line size , but you have to cast a bit more aggressive.

By the way the Nautilus FWX I have balances this rod very nicely, and looks dang good on it (silver nautilus)
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:13 PM

Useless without photos