The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By glacierjohn
  • 1 Post By thewalker1013

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Just joined the forum, wanted to say hi.

Hello, I've been researching a new reel for my new Z-Axis and found a lot of information on this site, so I signed up. Here's a little info about me.

I've been fly fishing since 1965, I turn 64 July 1st, I started with my Dad teaching me how to cast on the front lawn with a Wright-McGill Trailmaster spin-fly combo, $4.95 South Bend reel and level line. I bought my first "good" rod with my summer job money in 1968, a 7 1/5' 6wt Browning Silaflex, then a Fenwick 8 1/2' 8wt when I moved to Alaska in 1974. I used just those two (the Silaflex and Fenwick) rods for all my fishing from then until 1991 when I bought my first graphite rod. I was newly married and working in San Francisco at that time and my wife gave me a gift certificate for a fancy fly shop in the city. A that time they carried four different rod lines, Sage RPL and LL series, Scott Power Ply and Winston. I tried all four in the alley behind the store. The RPL had no feel, remember I was coming off almost 30 years of fiberglass rods, the Winston felt too slow while the Scott and the LL felt just right. The Scott really spoke me so that's what I went with, a 904-4, now called a G series.

Later that year we moved to NW Montana where I really got into the fishing and started accumulated more and more gear. I now have a number of fly rods, reels, a drift boat, two rafts and other misc tackle. I'm not a collector, but once I own something I take care of it and hold on to it. I still have those old fiberglass rods, even the Eagle Claw, plus all my Dad's rods along with my newer rods.

Here's a list:
7 1/2 Fiberglass Eagle Claw
7 1/2' Silaflex
8 1/2'Fenwick
Scott 904-4 G series (1991)
Gary Sandon Custom 7 1/2' Bamboo 5 wt. (1992)
Sage 8 1/2' 5 wt. SP (1996 or 97)
Cortland 9' 6wt (from my Dad in 2005)
Another Eagle Claw from my Dad.
Winston 7 1/2' WT 3 wt.
After 15 years I broke my Sage SP and got a new rod from them, I opted for a fast action 9' 5wt Z-Axis.

I wont get into reels at this time, just that two Pflueger Medalist sufficed for my first 30 years of fly fishing. One more thing, after reading the thread on fiberglass rods I decided to string up my old Silaflex and try it out on the lawn. Wow, it felt great! It was wonderfully accurate and cast well from 10' to 45' and easily zipped out to 65', way beyond where I usually fish. I remember small Brookies felt like salmon on that rod. I'm tempted to bring it out in the boat this weekend.

John
Rip Tide and fredaevans like this.

Last edited by jpbfly; 06-27-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just joined the forum, wnted to say hi.

Welcome to the forum John, glad to have you posting with us. Sounds to me as though you're a man after my own heart. You enjoy your tackle! We have a few threads going that you might enjoy. They are lengthy reads but worth your time if you've not already gone through them.

Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Maybe we'll see some of your tackle there one day
Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to you. I started a few years later than you, but with a lot of the same kind of equipment. My first "...good" rod was also a Scott G 904. I still have it and love to fish it out of a drift boat. Looking forward to your posts.

Gene
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum!
looking forward to hearing/seeing more from you!

casey

ARFE
Old 06-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to your participation! Hope you find a good reel for that z-axis! I have a z-axis 7 wt I use for throwing streamers and love it.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
We have a few threads going that you might enjoy. They are lengthy reads but worth your time if you've not already gone through them.

Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread

Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Maybe we'll see some of your tackle there one day
Welcome, and Happy (early) Birthday!

Btw, my go-to do-everything rod is the same z that you have... FWIW, an original Ross Evolution pairs exceptionally well with it
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

John.Great intro
Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Just joined the forum, wanted to say hi.

Welcome and I look forward to reading your posts. PLEASE share your fish stories and pictures if you are not like me and forget the camera at least half the time.

Sent from Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
Welcome, and Happy (early) Birthday!

Btw, my go-to do-everything rod is the same z that you have... FWIW, an original Ross Evolution pairs exceptionally well with it
I really like the design of the Ross Evos. Perhaps even more so than the LT. That's got to be a sweet setup you're rockin.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Just joined the forum, wanted to say hi.

Glass is class. Lost count of how many rods I own, but the 11' glass is at the top of the list if fishing conditions permit.