The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Help me sort out my big rod-reel-line scramble

I just got two new reels for my birth day, a Ross Evolution LT #2 and a Galvan Rush #4. Here's what I have at present; three main "go-to" rods, a 7.5' 3 weight Winston WT, 9' 4 wt. Scott G series and a new 9' 5wt Z Axis.

I fish 100% for trout on Montana rivers, mostly by driftboat, but I was fish some smaller water with the little Winston. In the past I put most of my money into the rods, thinking of my reels mostly as line holders, but I have hooked into large enough trout, especially on the Big Hole, to make me appreciate a good drag, hence the new reels.

Currently I have the following reels; Ross Cimarron C-1 with SA GPX 3 wt on the Winston, a weird Cabelas "Hemingway" ( I think it's a Sth) reel on my Scott, 4 wt GPX and a Spare made in England Battenkill III with a Wulff TT 4-5 line, and a Lamson DCA with a new sharkskin 5 wt trout taper for the Z-Axis. I also have an old Sage 102M reel, Cortland System One reel, two Pfluger Medalist. Help me sort this all out with my two new reels.

Thanks,

John
Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help me sort out my big rod-reel-line scramble

I would throw the Evo LT on the Z-Axis.
Keep the Ross/Winston Combo
Throw the Rush on the Scott.

Randy
Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

PS, to muddy the waters a bit my Lamson DCA has a bad drag, it feels out of round with an uneven force as you strip line off the reel. I contacted Sage who inherited this problem when they bought the line, and they said to send it in with $50.oo and they would give me a new 1800 series reel. I checked the 1800 out online and it seems kind of ugg. They retail for around $130.00, and look kind of ugly. I'd almost rather keep by defective DCA, maybe try to fix it myself.

I'm also thinking about buying a new line for my 904-4, I called Scott and they recommended the SA Mastery Trout, not the textured one, the regular one.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:36 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
I would throw the Evo LT on the Z-Axis.
Keep the Ross/Winston Combo
Throw the Rush on the Scott.

Randy
That's where I was torn, the Scott 4 wt is a slightly heavier rod but it's throwing a 4lighter line than the lighter Z-Axis and its heavier 5 wt. line. They both have nice drags, I was leaning toward putting the Ross reel on the Scott. Guess I can't go wrong either way.

I'm going in today to pick up my reels. I'm going to put a new 4 wt Mastery trout taper line on the Galvan Rush for the Scott, put the 5 wt. sharkskin on the Ross for the Z-Axis. I'll keep the 5 wt. GPX on the Battenkill III for my TFO Lefty Kreh, leave the Winston 3 wt as is with the little Ross Cimmaron C-1, then move the Cortland 444 six weight from the too small System One reel to the Calellas Hemmingway to use on either my Dad's old Cortland graphite rod, or more likely my old fiberglass Silaflex.

I might just send my damaged Lamson back to Sage in exchange for a larger sized Sage 1800 series reel, move my eight weight line from my old Pfluger to maybe use on my old Fenwick fiberglass rod. Whew!

John
Old 06-28-2013, 09:18 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
PS, to muddy the waters a bit my Lamson DCA has a bad drag, it feels out of round with an uneven force as you strip line off the reel. I contacted Sage who inherited this problem when they bought the line, and they said to send it in with $50.oo and they would give me a new 1800 series reel. I checked the 1800 out online and it seems kind of ugg. They retail for around $130.00, and look kind of ugly. I'd almost rather keep by defective DCA, maybe try to fix it myself.

I'm also thinking about buying a new line for my 904-4, I called Scott and they recommended the SA Mastery Trout, not the textured one, the regular one.
John, if you're really attached to the Lamson and aren't sure about moving to the Sage, you might want to call Bill Archuleta and talk with him. I'm not sure if he can fix it, but certainly worth a call.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
John, if you're really attached to the Lamson and aren't sure about moving to the Sage, you might want to call Bill Archuleta and talk with him. I'm not sure if he can fix it, but certainly worth a call.
Thanks I will.