The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 09:25 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: guys and gals

Gotta love when a legitimate questions turns into a train derailment

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
Female rods are only useful 3 weeks a month, think about that one.
Craig

I what you did there!!

Morning wood = male rod
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If you fish with a female rod you'll have to have a pair of wading boots appropriate to each stream you fish. Morning and evening pairs even.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Female rods will not only require: line, backing, leader, tippet, reel, flies...

You will also need a constant flow of Aleve for it...

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have hear that rods for women should be longer considering most females are somewhat shorter than men. if a person has really tiny hands then a thinner grip may make for comfort and better grip.

Returning to the length thing; I've always had an easier time teaching basics with shorter rods. By shorter I'm talking 6'6" - 8' rods with slow actions like fiberglass or the early Orvis graphite rods.

Of course you also keep the casting lessons to the 20 - 30' range while teaching basics with shorter rods. Once the basics are digested while using a rod that is not intimidating by its very length you move them to whatever rod they will be using on the local waters where they will fish.

I've said all of this presuming that you are looking at starting a woman into fly casting. Some may say that the shorter rod will be a hindrance but I've not seen this when starting a raw beginner. For a small person who never fly cast, handing them a 9 foot rod is like handing them a Spey rod. The length sometimes has a psychological effect or an OMG type presence and can be a bit unwieldy in hand for starters.

Ard

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Seems a flood of post while I was typing that.............. Let's try to stay on point because I believe this was a serious question guys.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2013, 05:06 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

As I recall, Sage made a Z-Axis with a smaller grip for women.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

So, Hardyreels, you're saying that length really does matter?

<Sigh.>

To think that Mrs. Half Fast has been lying to me all these years......

<Sigh.>

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post
So, Hardyreels, you're saying that length really does matter?

<Sigh.>

To think that Mrs. Half Fast has been lying to me all these years......

<Sigh.>
In an attempt to be more serious towards this thread, per Ard's request... I still had to take 30 seconds to laugh at your post

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM

peter hanman will become famous soon enoughpeter hanman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have hear that rods for women should be longer considering most females are somewhat shorter than men. if a person has really tiny hands then a thinner grip may make for comfort and better grip.

Returning to the length thing; I've always had an easier time teaching basics with shorter rods. By shorter I'm talking 6'6" - 8' rods with slow actions like fiberglass or the early Orvis graphite rods.

Of course you also keep the casting lessons to the 20 - 30' range while teaching basics with shorter rods. Once the basics are digested while using a rod that is not intimidating by its very length you move them to whatever rod they will be using on the local waters where they will fish.

I've said all of this presuming that you are looking at starting a woman into fly casting. Some may say that the shorter rod will be a hindrance but I've not seen this when starting a raw beginner. For a small person who never fly cast, handing them a 9 foot rod is like handing them a Spey rod. The length sometimes has a psychological effect or an OMG type presence and can be a bit unwieldy in hand for starters.

Ard

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Seems a flood of post while I was typing that.............. Let's try to stay on point because I believe this was a serious question guys.

Thank you for this info Ard you were right I am trying to get a woman into fly fishing and this post has been very helpful. The others, however funny, not so much.
As a result of me using a shorter rod should I keep a higher reel and line or bring everything down a weight?