The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 07:34 PM

beekeeper is on a distinguished road
Default Picky rod question?

Finally taking the plunge to learn to fly fish. Bought a nice rod and reel combo from Cabelas. Rod is a Three Forks model. I noticed that the tip top loop is not perpendicular to the rod. No apparent damage but was just wondering if a little skew to it is bad?

Last edited by beekeeper; 06-29-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picky rod question?

I'm not sure I follow what you saying, but if you're not happy with the new rod, take it back to Cabelas, they have an excellent return policy.
imxer and fredaevans like this.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

What Larry said. They probably used a hot-melt glue to attach the tiptop and at some point during shipping it got hot enough to soften the glue allowing it to come out of alignment. You could try heating it a bit and see if it moves, then pick up a stick of tiptop adhesive and reattach it, or just take it back. The latter might be better since it is a new rod.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:21 AM

It's not that the shaft of the tip top isn't straight (in line with rod). It's that the loop isn't perpendicular (squared) to the rod. It's a bit skewed. I wish I knew how to easily post a picture. I'll just run by the store tomorrow and get their opinion.

PS-I edited the original message so it makes more sense. I was typing it while watching a TV program. Oops
Old 06-29-2013, 12:33 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

You mean the loop is lined up with the guides but doesn't come off the rod at a 90 degree angle? Some tiptops do angle forward but if you are worried bring it in.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not suppose to be perpendicular They angle up a bit.
Maybe not quite 45*

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
fishiowa likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

What Rip said
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 AM

I didn't realize how difficult this is to describe. It does angle forward some when looking at it from the side which I would expect. The skew is to the loop when looking at it from the top (that is, the top if its laying flat on the ground and you're looking down on it).
Old 06-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a picture would help.

I once bought a marked down rod for my son that had a bent tip-top.
I simply wrapped a rag around the tip-top and bent it back into position with needle nose pliers.
An easy fix seeing as how I saved "X" amount of dollars on this rod.
Not saying you should do this, but it's not a big deal if you do.

If it's just angled to the side, you could heat it quickly with lighter and just twist it into the proper position.
The glue that they use is similar to hot glue and a little heat will take care of this easily
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just my .02 cents. ALL the guides, including the tip-top should be in line on a fly rod. If not, out going line will 'hang up' for a lack of a better term. Just went out and looked at a dozen rigged rods and each and every 'tip top' was lined up (bend down) in line with the rest of the guides.