The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nrx vs Nrx LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
you may want to consider a few. 1st choice for me would be a Wulff triangle taper. 2nd, Rio trout LT. 3rd scientific angler GPX. 4th Orvis superfine line.
P.S. the GPX taper will load the rod deeper than the other lines I've suggested, but I cast the rod with a GPX and it was magic.
Did you try casting it with the rio gold?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I like the GPX on my Loomis rods. It does load them better than any other line I have tried so far.

Craig
Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM

glassblower is on a distinguished road

I just returned from having spent 3 weeks fishing Yellowstone Park and the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone. I own a NRX 9' 5wht, the original not the LP. I fished it with a Wulff Triangle Taper single handed spey line the entire time. I fished the Yellowstone River twice, both days delicately presenting size 14 Hemingway Cadis and 12 Gray Drakes to real picky fish... largest landed was a 26" Cutthroat. All of the fishing was to rising fish and within 30-40 feet. The rod preformed perfectly.

While fishing the Second & Third Meadow of Slew Creek there were numerous times that the only cast possible was a roll casts and it allowed me to do so with finesse and accuracy. Likewise on the Clarks Fork I was able to throw big weighted nymphs and streamers 75 to 100' in the Canyon wasters and big Hopper Dropper rigs into the wind down below when on the flats. I absolutely loved the rod. It is my new favorite rod. I left my Orvis Trident 10' 6wht and my Sage III LL 8'6" 4wht in the truck the whole trip.

I attribute a lot of it to that line on that rod. I believe the Wulff line loaded the rod beautifully on short delicate casts with a 12' leader and it had plenty of punch into the wind. I never once felt that it was overloading the rod. It allowed me to make some of the strangest roll/spey casts once I got the feel for throwing the loop... almost like flipping a spinning rod. I can't say enough good things about the combination of Rod and Line.
imxer and mcnerney like this.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Congratulations on your new rod. What Coolhand said is right on and Glassblower...26" cut...wow! I have taken a little different approach. When I first test cast NRX I tried the #5 & #8. Loved the 8-weight and still do; it is one of the elite bonefish rods ever. The 5-weight did not sing for me but following conversations with a few Loomis savvy types, I tried the 9'/#4 and fell in love with it. No way is it "stiff" or "soulless"; it is a brilliant dry fly rod from one of the great rod designers of our time. I fish it with a straight RIO Gold #4 no overlining. The GPX is a poor choice for this rod if you intend to fish a lot of dry flies as it hinges badly and is clunky...so heavy it dulls tip reflex (one of the strengths of NRX) and with a short front taper and shorter rear taper it fails to promote loop stability (another NRX strength). An alternative to Gold would be SA's Mastery Expert Distance Taper, another extended head, elongated rear taper design.

I fished the heck out of NRX #4 in Idaho and Montana over the past month and it performs with the balls of a 5-weight while delicately behaving as the #4 it is...simply a big water #4. For littler streams the Streamdance GLX 8 1/2'/#4 was the charm...why have one 4-weight?
imxer and mcnerney like this.