The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default Nrx vs Nrx LP

Buying a 5wt. Anyone have any experience with the nrx or nrx LP?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:41 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nrx vs Nrx LP

I useed to own an nrx 9' 5wt. and got rid of it, its a nice blank, but its whicked stiff. If you like an extreme fast action this rod is it. The LP I have test casted and like it faaaaaar more. The LP has a much softer tip, the rod still has plenty of backbone for throwing heavy junk distances, but the soft tip alows for delicate up close dry fly presentations and short-line nymphing technique, good for subtle detections. All in all I liked the LP wayyyy more. Loomis made the lp to address the overall stiffness in the original nrx. good luck with your choice.
imxer and mcnerney like this.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

Both good rods.

I own the original NRX in 9',#5 and 9',#6. I wouldn't characterize either one as "way too stiff". Compared to some truly stiff rods like a Sage TCR or TCX, and even a Sage One, the original NRX isn't nearly stiff or fast as those, and has a fairly soft tip in comparison.

However, the original NRX are relatively heavy physically and with noticably more swing weight than comparably priced rods. This is where the NRX LP rods are different, much lighter and better swing weight. They also have a pretty soft tip. IMO, the LP will be a better dry fly / presentation rod and the original NRX will be a better all-around performer (being able to throw streamers and heavier nymph rigs).
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Banned

So I have narrowed it down. It's either a nrx LP or a whisper creek GLX. Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

nrx lp is going to be a more versitle tool in my opinion than the whisper creek. the whisper is more dry fly specific, whereas the nrx lp is also fantastic with dry fly presentation and can absolutely handle small streamers and nymph rigs. This is a decision you'll need to make on an as-needed basis, which rod is best suited for your purposes

P.S. In my opinion the original nrx is "way too stiff". thats based on the sliding scale of what anglers prefer, and as far as I'm concerned its a souless rod thats simply too stiff for a fly rod design. When you combine the heavy physical weight, swing weight, and stiff butt section, this thing feels like a flagpole to me. So Gerrard given that each angler is going to have different opinions regarding rod performance, you should get that whisper creek and nrx lp in your hands before buying. If it were me I'd go with the nrx lp all day over whisper creek, good luck

Last edited by thenewlushlife; 07-05-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:19 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgerrard View Post
So I have narrowed it down. It's either a nrx LP or a whisper creek GLX. Thoughts?
---------------------------------------
Chip,
You might like the Loomis StreamDance HLS rod, kinda puts you in between the NRX LP & Whisper Creek. Good luck, don't think you will go wrong with a Loomis.
shimloom likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Banned

So I pulled the trigger on an nrx lp. Any line recommendations?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the new rod, please report back on your experience with it once you have had a chance to get out and fish with it some. It will be interesting to see what you think.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Congrats on the new rod, please report back on your experience with it once you have had a chance to get out and fish with it some. It will be interesting to see what you think.
Will do mcnerney
Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgerrard View Post
So I pulled the trigger on an nrx lp. Any line recommendations?
you may want to consider a few. 1st choice for me would be a Wulff triangle taper. 2nd, Rio trout LT. 3rd scientific angler GPX. 4th Orvis superfine line.
P.S. the GPX taper will load the rod deeper than the other lines I've suggested, but I cast the rod with a GPX and it was magic.
mcnerney likes this.