The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 03:05 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default New 3/4wt rod

Looking for some guidance from the pros...

I currently own 6 and 8 wt TFO mangroves and love them both. I find myself fishing more and morr freshwater and looking to make catching bream and small bass funner.

I picked up a whiteriver 3/4reel on clearance last week.

Im thinking of getting a TFO pro series rod from bass pro for about 90$

Wanted to see what yall thought and wheather i should go for the 3 or 4 wt rod. Where i typically fish i can mostly count on small bream but will have the occasional bass hooked.

Ill definitely play around with the rod before buying.

Any line recommendations as well?

Im not looking to spend the same amount on this rod as i spent about 500 for my other two rods minus the reels and lines.

As always....thanks for the help.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New 3/4wt rod

I would go for the 3 weight.....with a quality 3 weight floating line...you will be surprised at the size of fish you can handle with a good 3 weight!!! This will open up a new territory for you!!! I think you will have a blast while catching bream and small bass!! I would not skimp on the line.......a good quality line is most important...IMHO...Tight lines and good fishing!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I would certainly say go with the 4 weight. The 3 weight will limit you on distance and power and given that the primary target is bass, you'll be needing to throw some junky flies. Line weight is more synonomus with fly size and weight than it is the size of the fish you are catching. Also typical bass rod is 5/6 weight, 3 is bloody light for that application. 3 weight will be unpleasant to cast with poppers, nymphs, streamers, wet flies and even large dries. The 3 weight is designed to cast small dries on long leaders to spooky trout. All in all the 3 weight is un-practical for your purposes, however at the end of the day, get what works for you thats what fishing is all about. Hit me up with any questions if you'd like further insight from me, good luck.
-lush
Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

four is more versatile but if you want all out fun the three will be a blast. might i suggest a 3wt stcroix imperial.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

check out the allen ats.
sweet stick
ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE